Door seal upgrade - can't open driver door from inside.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
NorthGaAire

Door seal upgrade - can't open driver door from inside.

Post by NorthGaAire »

I replaced all four door seals on the 78 Cherk.

Everyone is happy except the driver's door. I have to use two thumbs to unlatch the door from the outside. The inner door latch lever will not open the door from the inside. Seals have been installed for about 4 weeks now.

If I open the door, roll the door latch cam to the "latched" or closed position, the door lever will unlatch the door. The new seals are applying tension to the door latch cam and bracket.

Is there a tuneup for the door latch to make it easier to open? Can the plate mounted to the B pillar that engages the door latch cam be adjusted?

Thanks for your help and advice.
NorthGaAire
1978 Cherokee 4dr, 360v8, T18 4spd, Twin stick Dana 20, SOA conversion (7" lift), trac lock rear axle, 3.54 axle ratio, 33"x10.5"-15 Toyo MT's on factory steel wheels, Cliff hanger front bumper, Evil Twin rear bumper with swing out spare.

dodgerammit

Re: Door seal upgrade - can't open driver door from inside.

Post by dodgerammit »

The plate should be moveable, or the latch will. There will be some form of adjustment. At least on my 84 there is, so I would think the 78 would be the same.

How are the body lines?

Do the doors all sit flush with each other?

Could the PO possibly pushed the pinch weld out to compensate for a worn driver's door seal in the past? If so, then you could massage the pinch weld back inward with a 2x4 block and mallet or something.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The hinges and latches are adjustable, as mentioned above. Typically you adjust until the body lines up with the door - that's your objective, usually. I would also suggest you remove the door panel and disassemble, clean and lubricate all the moving parts of the latch. Less friction on the moving parts will make the latch easier to operate.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

Yes the striker is adjustable, and you'll probably need to move it out until you can close the door. just remember you adjust the door and then make the striker fit, not the other way around. the striker is just a catch .

I fought this with my new seals until I took a piece of wood and bent by seams inward a little to relieve the pressure. months later it's still tighter than I'd like but it is getting better,

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Did you use the molded OEM style seals, or the Universal ones?
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

If memory serves, there should be little holes in the seals so that it would allow them to open easier? If I am wrong educate me :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
NorthGaAire

Post by NorthGaAire »

I used the molded OEM style seals. They fit great.

All the doors close fine - they are just so tight.

I am getting an impact screw driver to loosen the screws on the striker for adjustment.

Thanks.
NorthGaAire
1978 Cherokee 4dr, 360v8, T18 4spd, Twin stick Dana 20, SOA conversion (7" lift), trac lock rear axle, 3.54 axle ratio, 33"x10.5"-15 Toyo MT's on factory steel wheels, Cliff hanger front bumper, Evil Twin rear bumper with swing out spare.