Help me find a new air cleaner assembly!

Stock FSJ Tech Area

candymancan

Re: Help me find a new air cleaner assembly!

Post by candymancan »

Cecil14 wrote:I've got K&Ns (and Spectres) on a few of my things as well, no complaints that I am aware of provided they're kept clean. One question I have: have you done, or seen anyone do, oil analysis tests with and without the rechargeable filters? The tests would have to be side by side on similar vehicles with only different filters for ~20k miles I would think to be really conclusive. Driven in the same environments, of course. It'd be hard to to do the test without maybe his and hers vehicles driven very similarly.

I have very little doubt that the rechargeable filters do let more stuff through, that's their purpose right? Whether or not that does any noticeable damage, I would have to see real evidence of.

aa

Im not gonna bother with oil tests.. I only drive maybe 8-10k miles a year and in a 3 season area with tons of pollen in the spring i think itd ve hard to get real results. For ot to be a con lusive test youd have to do ot multiple time with and without the filter as just 1 test each wouldnt mean anything without more tests to go off.

Even if the oil gets more contaminents the oil filter will filter that out... I just dont believe these filters will hurt anything.. but im probably wrong.. who knows.

I only put it on my 5.9zj because i found the FIPK kit on a 5.2 zj in the junkyard and bought it for like 20$ lol.. It made the engine sound cool and thats all i cared about lol..

The filter on my wagoneer is an open air edlebrock filter.. but its using a normal paper filter and it sounds like my spectre filter on my fipk on the 5.9 zj. I might buy a spectre round filter and see if it changes the sound any.. Another issues is open air filters suck in hot engine air. the stock air hat is better because its a ram air filter.. it gets air directly from the grill vs sucking it iys own hot air but with a 144hp engine lol i dont care it isnt a race car. Now my ZJ the FIPK is still ram air.. its a long tube going to a sealed and seperated space from the engine itself.. and its got open air directly under it by the wheel well ( litterally open no metal) and open air via the grill as its onky like 4 inches from the grill

Now what id like to see.. Is someone put a Spectre or K@N filter on.. and put a paper filter behind it.. And see what the paper filter catchs after like 6k miles. Im suprised there is no test like this.

I do know as mentioned my spectre cone filter gets dirty as Frack, the oil coating on it does a great job at catching airborne contaminants.. I can turn the filter and itll be black on one side and clean on tje other side. The black side is facing the grill so it get open air rammed into it and it filters really good lol. I say as long as you properly coat the entire filter in the oil it comes with youre good. I tend to spray mine enough that it will drip a tiny bit when you tilt it and it runs

I found i have to twist the cone filter to switch sides ( back to front).. and when both sides are dirty then i clean it
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)