J10 front and rear bumper

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
JDooney76

J10 front and rear bumper

Post by JDooney76 »

I am looking for stock looking front and rear bumper. Chrome finish. My truck had custom built steel bumpers made but I want to replace with stock looking chrome bumper with the bumper guards similar to what you see on square body chevys from the 80's. Does anyone have a link to a site that this could be purchased from or is this gonna be a junkyard visit? I figured there must be a universally fit bumper out there that would fit a J10. I don't mind having to customize the mounting since it may need to be modified.

XSapper

Re: J10 front and rear bumper

Post by XSapper »

I would guess a junkyard visit or post a WTB here. The chrome on my sons is flaking off and that seems pretty typical. He wants to build a custom bumper with a winch mount anyways.

What year J10? 1 piece, 3 piece etc.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There is a 3-piece style with a center rail and two ends, and a one-piece style that is later. Pretty sure you aren't going to find anything new in the aftermarket for this, whether it be "universal" or OEM. These trucks are narrow compared to the Ford or Chevy products, like the Dodge Dakota trucks in width. Jeep did some trickery with axle widths and fender flares to make the bed full-sized (ie 4'x8' floor space).

It would be helpful to mention your location or put it in your sig.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

As mentioned it depends on the year of your rig. '78 and older had the 3 piece 79 up one piece front bumpers. both can be found but expect to rechrome them if you want really nice stuff.

The rear bumper is going to be pretty much a Jeep thing. the J series is narrower than the other makes to it's going to look stupid to use a universal one. stock rear step bumpers are not that hard to find. just expect to do a little work to get one back to nice condition. chrome wasn't an option on rear bumpers until sometime in the 80's. finding a good one of those will be a chore.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

If it's a single piece front bumper expect to spend a fortune to rechrome it! These were aluminum single piece bumpers that were then chrome plated. The chrome peeled and oxidized underneath. To properly clean, finish and rechrome will run you more than $2500!
It's best to find a somewhat newer bumper that was just polished aluminum. Or to strip and paint/powder coat the bumper.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it