Manual - Hand Crank Window tune up....

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
NorthGaAire

Manual - Hand Crank Window tune up....

Post by NorthGaAire »

What is the best method to lube and tune up the manual hand crank windows??

Especially, the rear door windows.....???

Front doors are easy to access with white lithium grease, but how about the rear door windows?
Does the regulator need to be removed from the door to be lubed?

Can/should any sort of lube be applied to the felt tracks, where the edge of the glass slides?

Thanks.
NorthGaAire
1978 Cherokee 4dr, 360v8, T18 4spd, Twin stick Dana 20, SOA conversion (7" lift), trac lock rear axle, 3.54 axle ratio, 33"x10.5"-15 Toyo MT's on factory steel wheels, Cliff hanger front bumper, Evil Twin rear bumper with swing out spare.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Manual - Hand Crank Window tune up....

Post by Stuka »

You can use spray lube. Motorcycle chain lube works well as its sticky enough to stay on the gears, but you can spray it on.

I have never lubed the felt tracks. I would NOT use any sort of liquid lubricant. Maybe graphite powder or something?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I've seen silly cone spray recommended for the felt channels but Idunno. Seems you'd always have smeary glass after that so I agree with Stuka.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
NorthGaAire

Post by NorthGaAire »

Thanks.

Got gloved up and applied white lithium grease to the hand crank gears, the slides on the bottoms of each glass, and the door lock mechanisms.

Sprayed silicon spray on the internals of the outer door handles and lock rods guides.

All windows and locks are much happier now.
1978 Cherokee 4dr, 360v8, T18 4spd, Twin stick Dana 20, SOA conversion (7" lift), trac lock rear axle, 3.54 axle ratio, 33"x10.5"-15 Toyo MT's on factory steel wheels, Cliff hanger front bumper, Evil Twin rear bumper with swing out spare.

Moosehead

Post by Moosehead »

Silicone spray goes on wet but dries fully, using it on the vertical window felt tracks was the only way I could get my manual windows operating well. It was the difference between inoperable and easy use. Did the gears and behind the panels with white lithium grease.

Others have used silicone grease or gel on the felt tracks with much success. Use a small amount and it only stays on the glass beneath the tracks. If I was in a wet climate instead of the dusty, dry mountain west, would use this instead of the silicone spray.
‘78 Wagoneer
401 with street cam, heads, headers, Holley Sniper EFI, rear discs, Alcan springs, Trucklite LED headlights