Carpet Installation Question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Santeh

Carpet Installation Question

Post by Santeh »

Hello all,

I have some questions that most likely have apparent answers, yet at risk of being exposed as a complete newbie (I am!) I thought I might ask so that I do not make a huge mistake. I am getting ready to buy a carpet replacement kit for my 1978 Jeep Cherokee S yet I am unsure how to properly install the material. Specifically, the only metal I know of that would hold any carpet down is on the floor by the doors and the thin metal strips for the cargo area/door. How, then, is the carpet held down in the passenger area? Do the seats hold the carpet in place? I am planning on getting the Essex with mass backing from BJ's Off Road (please see: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Carpet-Kit-Pa ... p_899.html), thus does the mass backing help hold the carpet down? If not, what replacement metal would I need to purchase in order to install the carpet?

Thank you everyone!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

440sixpack

Re: Carpet Installation Question

Post by 440sixpack »

It's just held down by whatever bolts through it and the sill plates. you can glue it down if needed in problem areas.

Be warned ACC is about the only carpet made for any AMC product and it's just short of crap. maybe more like crap. something like fitting socks on a chicken, it just doesn't fit. I've used other brands and the fit is SOOO much better. but this is what we have.

Take your time and check 5 times before you make a cut. you should get it good enough you can live with it.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

In my '84 the carpet over the rear wheels was nailed in place with little tacks.

I guess the factory didn't want to use tack strips. :roll:
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Maybe I just don't have much carpet experience, but I was fairly happy with the ACC carpet kit. Yes, it doesn't fit exactly, but it's pretty close. I have found the quality with the mass backing pretty good. I actually just went with cut pile and it has been fine for my use. I get good complements on the interior.

What I can tell you from my experience, is to take your time. Get an assortment of sharp knives and other sharp objects. With the mass backing, it's pretty tough to cut through, a good ice pick is also helpful in locating and getting holes started for the studs and bolts. When working around the heater outlet, make sure to tuck the carpet under it, so that it can actually work, lol. Also, cutting a little long is helpful, but as you will find out, cutting small bits of carpet to fine tune can be pretty tough, especially with the backing material. Watch your fingers doing this, lol. I never cut myself, but it was quite touch and go sometimes. Using a pair of channel locks can be helpful in holding the material and saving a finger.

Let the carpet sit for at least a couple days after unboxing to let it settle into its molded shape again. Also, if you can, let it sit an hour or two out in the sun before throwing it in the Jeep. Will help it relax even more.

You can check out my build page for some related info. I need to get some final shots as well since I now have the corbeaus in.

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=12962

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Just get in there, roll up the windows and sweat lodge it out till it's done.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I found that laying the carpet out in the hot sun a few hours before installing is very helpful. The hot carpet and backing will mould to the shape of the floor much better than if it's cool. A high temp hair dryer or heat gun helps with the trans hump/footwell areas as well.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I found that laying the carpet out in the hot sun a few hours before installing is very helpful. The hot carpet and backing will mould to the shape of the floor much better than if it's cool. A high temp hair dryer or heat gun helps with the trans hump/footwell areas as well.
This.

This helped when I did my 64 Bel Air.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Thank you everyone for the help!

So, if I understand correctly, after letting the carpet soak in the intense heat that is Florida, I need to install the mass backing, lay out the carpet, and then tack it on top of the mass backing, yes? If so, is there a preferred type of tack (especially length) that might work for this? Does the mass backing simply stick to the flooring? Should I prep the flooring before laying down the mass backing and carpet?

Thanks again everyone!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I was just saying Jeep nailed my carpet down. Through the metal.

I couldn't believe they did it and would never recommend doing it. You'd need a good gun to do it anyway.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You sure that's due to Jeep? All the Jeeps I've seen have had the carpet held in by the seats and other bolt-on parts, or use flexible vinyl hats mounted to the floor, that go through slits in the carpet. The CJ carpet kits were held down with snaps, secured by self-threading screws. CJ soft tops were mounted the same way - left a lot of ugly holes in the body.

To secure the carpet, I would either stick the mass backing to the floor, or use velcro. If the floor is clean, you can attach the velcro to the floor with weatherstrip adhesive or emblem tape. I bought a couple of rolls of this on sale https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-4011-E ... dpSrc=srch and it works well for such things. To secure to the underside of the carpet, I would sew. Get a carpet needle and some carpet thread - a few stitches should be plenty, and they will be hidden down in the pile.

You might check with your local upholsterer and see what they would charge for replacemtn carpet. If you have the original pieces, regardless of condition, making replacements should be fairly easy.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I'm also really impressed with the ACC carpet, in color, quality, and fit.
The only place it's not 100% perfect is on the trans tunnel, where it doesn't "hug" the metal. I've thought of lifting it back up and putting some double sided tape on the trouble spots, but it doesn't bug me that much.
I agree to do it when it's hot out. You sweat like a pig, but the material is much easier to work with.
I got the mass backing upgrade and it came affixed to the underside of the carpet, not separate.
I bought a brand new set of US made tin-snips to cut the carpet. Actual carpet shears are crazy expensive, and a razor knife took multiple cuts to get through the material making messy edges.
This is within your abilities, go get it!

EDIT to add that I just looked up carpet shears, and they are not nearly as expensive as I remember them being when I was shopping for them. Back then all the quality one's I could find were between $70 and $110. There seems to be more options below that price point now. :-?
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

1979bettywhite wrote:Maybe I just don't have much carpet experience, but I was fairly happy with the ACC carpet kit. Yes, it doesn't fit exactly, but it's pretty close. I have found the quality with the mass backing pretty good. I actually just went with cut pile and it has been fine for my use. I get good complements on the interior.

What I can tell you from my experience, is to take your time. Get an assortment of sharp knives and other sharp objects. With the mass backing, it's pretty tough to cut through, a good ice pick is also helpful in locating and getting holes started for the studs and bolts. When working around the heater outlet, make sure to tuck the carpet under it, so that it can actually work, lol. Also, cutting a little long is helpful, but as you will find out, cutting small bits of carpet to fine tune can be pretty tough, especially with the backing material. Watch your fingers doing this, lol. I never cut myself, but it was quite touch and go sometimes. Using a pair of channel locks can be helpful in holding the material and saving a finger.

Let the carpet sit for at least a couple days after unboxing to let it settle into its molded shape again. Also, if you can, let it sit an hour or two out in the sun before throwing it in the Jeep. Will help it relax even more.

You can check out my build page for some related info. I need to get some final shots as well since I now have the corbeaus in.

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=12962
tgreese wrote:You sure that's due to Jeep? All the Jeeps I've seen have had the carpet held in by the seats and other bolt-on parts, or use flexible vinyl hats mounted to the floor, that go through slits in the carpet. The CJ carpet kits were held down with snaps, secured by self-threading screws. CJ soft tops were mounted the same way - left a lot of ugly holes in the body.

To secure the carpet, I would either stick the mass backing to the floor, or use velcro. If the floor is clean, you can attach the velcro to the floor with weatherstrip adhesive or emblem tape. I bought a couple of rolls of this on sale https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-4011-E ... dpSrc=srch and it works well for such things. To secure to the underside of the carpet, I would sew. Get a carpet needle and some carpet thread - a few stitches should be plenty, and they will be hidden down in the pile.

You might check with your local upholsterer and see what they would charge for replacemtn carpet. If you have the original pieces, regardless of condition, making replacements should be fairly easy.
Thanks again all!

I was indeed thinking of taking my Jeep to a carpet installation with the kit in hand, but I will also consider doing it myself if I can use velcro/mass backing to help hold the Essex carpet in place.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Tim, I can't be sure it was the original installation but have no reason to believe otherwise.

The only place it was done was around the wheel wells. Both at the outer edge and along the floor if I remember correctly. Would have to be a gun, not something you could do with a hammer and just didn't seem to be the type of thing a schmuck like me would be equipped to do.

No one else seen this?
Sic friatur crustulum

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

My 83 Cherokee had the rear wheel wells stapled on as well. Must have been one heck of a gun to go through the metal like that.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

rapom

Post by rapom »

my 79 cherokee chief had tacked carpet at the wheel wells. when i installed new, i used 3m 90 spray adhesive, but only in a few areas. i bought very high quality carpet from z&m's. it fit real nice. there was about 4 quality choices and i choose 2nd from the best.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

The 78 body we put on Phoebe had the carpet nails too. They were all pulled and holes welded shut. One quarter size hole was welded up in RF floor.
Treated areas painted. Started with a roll of water heater thermal blanket and laid that down first. Used a 3M spray adhesive. Laid all the carpet in a day. Warmed it up on the back deck which made it easier to form. Some adhesive was used in a few places. We haven't put the SS deck strips down and it has held up pretty good for 6 years.

Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

my 90 the wheel wells were glued on by factory.. The rest just lays there and is held on the trunk screws or seat bolts
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

rapom wrote:i bought very high quality carpet from z&m's. it fit real nice. there was about 4 quality choices and i choose 2nd from the best.
Who made it? Z&M's site has some kits in the $500 range but no application or any info.

Flint, same question. Looks purty good.
Sic friatur crustulum

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

ACC via BJs - 80/20 loop with mass backing. We still haven't covered the panel on the tailgate. It is the last of the original.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Thanks. I'm going to be buying a kit soon so it's good to hear of success with ACC's product since there doesn't seem to be much choice out there.
Sic friatur crustulum