QuadraTrac PSA for 2018

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
fulsizjeep

QuadraTrac PSA for 2018

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have been knee deep in QuadraTracs this Spring and have had my hands inside of 15 units. 2 of these had 16% OD part time kits. I only recovered 2 good Case Sprockets out of 13. I recovered ZERO good brake cones.

For reference:

I have dropped hints with BJs Offroad and Novak that it would be nice to be able to source the case sprocket new. You can buy new Novak brake cones at BJs but if you put them in a case sprocket that has been ground up on the beveled surface that the brake cones ride against, then you are destined to grind the new brake cones as well.

Rebuild Kits
Some things I have recently learned is the BK1305 rebuild kits found on the web nowadays no longer have the output shaft bearings in the kit. Some BK1305 kits also do not have the shift fork pads depending on where you buy it. Kit prices vary widely as well.

For those going all out on a rebuild, I have located the proper output shaft bearings. Timken 6206-Z. I found mine for less than $12 each. One side of the bearing has a cover and the other side is open where you can see the caged ball bearings. The open side faces the outside of the case.

Note: Just outside the output bearing is an oil channel that lubes the bearing. There are look-a-likes out there that do not have the cover on one side.

2018 version:

One I bought in 2007:

This kit is a decent price and includes shift fork pads:
https://cobratransmission.com/quadratra ... 55074001-1
Remember, no output shaft bearings in the kit.

Adapter Bearing
If you are looking to replace the T400 adapter bearing, they are almost unobtanium. You might get lucky if you contact Dave @ Cascade 4WD, 800-875-4554. The original Jeep # 8627585. The adapter bearings he tracked down this month do not have any markings on them and were difficult to find.

I'll add notes to this thread as I have time.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Re: QuadraTrac PSA for 2018

Post by tgreese »

Thanks for posting, Flint!

I own no QuadraTrac vehicle currently, but have thought they are cool ever since they were originally released.

Since Novak is supplying (making?) cones now, would it be possible to surface junk case sprockets and fit oversized cones? Given their shape, I'd think you could simply change the thickness of the brake cones and they'd still mate with a cleaned-up case sprocket. Or maybe a shim that moves the cone inward would be enough, once the sprocket is smooth?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have pondered this too Tim. I think it may come to something like this: If you got the measurements just right on machining then add a 4th preload spring to the stack to make up the difference in the "reconditioned" case sprocket. Then you would not need a special brake cone to fill the gap.
Flint Boardman

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Thanks Flint! Keeping the QT fire alive...
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

fulsizjeep wrote:I have pondered this too Tim. I think it may come to something like this: If you got the measurements just right on machining then add a 4th preload spring to the stack to make up the difference in the "reconditioned" case sprocket. Then you would not need a special brake cone to fill the gap.
Rather than adding a preload spring, I wonder if it would be easier to make a flat shim equal to the axial length removed from the sprocket. Using a spring would require the engineer/machinist to determine what amount of removed material was needed to maintain the correct preload on the cones. An incompressible shim could be made equal in thickness to the material removed, thus tailored to what's needed to clean up each sprocket.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Yes. I agree. My second thought was to replace the large thrust washer with a new thrust washer-shim of proper thickness.

Here is another thing to consider: On the back side of the brake cone is the large spider gear (side gear) that rides on the output shaft and against the back of brake cone. When the brake cone and sprocket get ground down enough, the pressure creates wear on the spiders and cross shaft. I have seen several where the large spider teeth start to chew into the back side of the brake cone. I have found a few brake cones that have welded to the large spider. That's hot.

It is a geometric nightmare for this guy to figure out. ;)
Flint Boardman

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I recently built up a differential with new brake cones made by Novak from BJs Offroad. It took getting my hands inside of 13 differentials to recover 2 good case sprockets and there were no re-usable brake cones at all. I have a nice pile of steel and aluminum scrap now. Saved some eye candy...

The layout:

Very clean case sprocket.

Novak brake cone.

Torque Bias checked out at 160#
Flint Boardman

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

When you're testing tourqe bias, is the diff dry? Or lubed with TCL? This is something I'll be doing here fairly soon.

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

TCL1 lubed all surfaces of the parts during assembly.
Flint Boardman

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Oddly enough, I addressed the cones and differentials (case sprocket) concerns in the original cone clutch thread. Everyone ignored my comments and now we have cones but no case sprockets.....

It even states on the article posted here http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac .

The preloaded plates force the tapered cone into the taper on the diff housing (much like an Auburn axle differential), creating the limited-slip bias. These pieces were never available separately from any manufacturer, including Jeep, because the differential had to be purchased as an assembly.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Oddly enough, I addressed the cones and differentials (case sprocket) concerns in the original cone clutch thread. Everyone ignored my comments and now we have cones but no case sprockets.....

It even states on the article posted here http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac .

The preloaded plates force the tapered cone into the taper on the diff housing (much like an Auburn axle differential), creating the limited-slip bias. These pieces were never available separately from any manufacturer, including Jeep, because the differential had to be purchased as an assembly.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Pair O J10

Post by Pair O J10 »

Not to resurect and old thread but I have worked with worn out sprockets for over a year and feel I have managed to develop a good overhaul procedure for the differential. Using new cones and a newly machined worn out differential. Many clearances must checked when you clean up the diff sprocket the cones sit lower.. Closer to the spider gears on the side of the diff and of course closer to the output shaft drive gear. All the spiders and drive gears need to be machined to regain the clearance. It's a bit of a puzzle to be sure but the Quadra Trac Diff can be rebuilt. Just a note there is a point 5 degree difference between the cone angle and the differential angle 12 degrees vs 12.5. An engineer I talked to said it was more than likely machined like that to accommodate wear and to help mitigate the stick slip condition prevelant with cone clutches. The other points already discussed concerning the conical washers can be solved using regular shims used for setting up other differentials just add shims to match the new depth of the cones after the differential sprocket is cleaned up. One more thing remove as little material as possible... It doesnt need to be like new.. It just needs to be smooth with no high spots.

Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Very good thread that needs to be kept alive.
Thanks from a QT owner!
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

J10dan

Re: QuadraTrac PSA for 2018 updated

Post by J10dan »

Hi Guys, I saw this post was active again in 2020, so here is hoping! Lots of great info on this thread!
This is my first Post here and many more to come!
I have a 1977 J10 Honch 360.
I am am in the process of rebuilding my t case.
I first added a new chain And some new fluid and the low rang worked great and so did the E drive.
Then after 2 short trips the stick slip started up and bad.
So this time took the case off Truck and ordered every part bjs sells for the T case and also bought a donar case hoping to get a decent set of Drive Sprockets, no dice mine are much better the pre 75 1339 I bought to hopefully eventually re build as a back up case is nothing yet junk!
Anyway during the rebuild, came across this part that is not on any diagram and Ryan at bjs was stumped as well.
Hopefully someone here can tell me what this part is and if I should use it.
Now, my t case did not have this part on the outside where the reduction Unit attaches, yet this donar case did have it.
I am wondering what this is and again if I should use it?
Does this keep the oil in the reduction Unit? Or restrict flow to the reduction Unit? It's raised yet I'm totally baffled as mine a 77 did not have this.
Again should I use this? And what is this part and what is its function?
In the 1st photo is my case without this part and the next couple pics have the part from this pre 75 donar case I picked up.
I'm stuck!
Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Hi Dan, when I rebuilt my quadratrac a few years back I like you had a 77’ donor case and a 74’ case in my Jeep. So one had the baffle and one didn’t. I elected to use the older case with the baffle installed and have had no issues with low range lubrication.

Also worth noting I put a 78’ low range in my other 74’ Jeep and it has experienced no issues I have found. I think you should just use whichever set of parts is cleanest.

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Re: QuadraTrac PSA for 2018 updated

Post by fulsizjeep »

J10dan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:56 amAnyway during the rebuild, came across this part that is not on any diagram and Ryan at bjs was stumped as well.
Hopefully someone here can tell me what this part is and if I should use it.
Now, my t case did not have this part on the outside where the reduction Unit attaches, yet this donar case did have it.
I am wondering what this is and again if I should use it?
Does this keep the oil in the reduction Unit? Or restrict flow to the reduction Unit? It's raised yet I'm totally baffled as mine a 77 did not have this.
Again should I use this? And what is this part and what is its function?
In the 1st photo is my case without this part and the next couple pics have the part from this pre 75 donar case I picked up.
I'm stuck!
Dan
Hi Dan, welcome to the board!
I have only seen this "baffle" in one of the many QTs I have parted out over the years. It came out of a 74 J20. I wondered if it was specific to the J20 for a while but that is not the case. I think it was used only in 73-74 QTs. I have had a couple QTs I went through from a 75 and they did not have it. It is to help lube the tcase. The 74 TSM covers it. I have that available as a PDF here:
http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/74je ... qt_tsm.pdf
I have never personally used the baffle and tube.

Good luck with your QT ventures.
Flint Boardman

J10dan

Post by J10dan »

Thanks for the Welcome and the info guys!
Well that explains why it's not in any diagrams I have seen.
I think I'll pass on using the baffle. I just can't see the benefit of using it, if anything I figured it would restrict oil flow in and out of the low range unit?
my low range and e lock were working fine without it.
Again Thanks for the info!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Could they be flame-sprayed and reground? Might cost too much.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

SJTD wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:39 pm Could they be flame-sprayed and reground? Might cost too much.
You speak a language I am not familiar with sir.
Flint Boardman

J10dan

Post by J10dan »

Ok in the middle of the full rebuild.
Ok so here is one that has me really stumped.
Local bearing supply actually had the books for the QuadraTrac output shaft bearings, they listed them as Timken 6206-Z.
Afterwords saw in post that was the part Number fulsizjeep used as well.
Well tried to put them in today and they don't fit!
The outer diameter is to small, they are 2.44 od, outs are 2.49! What the heck is going on here!