Should I just let it run out of gas?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
merrill77

Should I just let it run out of gas?

Post by merrill77 »

After un-kinking the vent line, I am starting to think that I *am* filling the tank completely and that the gauge and/or sending unit are reporting lower fuel than what is actually in the tank. The gauge only goes a little past 3/4 when the evidence says it is full (gas coming back out the filler).

I've been a little worried about letting the tank get too low - as I've heard that the tank/pickup design allows an FSJ to run "out of gas" with 4-5 gallons still in the tank. Between these two, I'm only putting 8 gallons in the tank at a time. I just got a AAA membership, so maybe I should just drive around until the gauge hits "E" and see what happens?

I have an aftermarket electric fuel pump and Edelbrock MPFI -- should I be concerned with restarting problems after a letting it run out?

While we're on this topic - I know I could access the sending unit on my 87 GW from within the cab...but the TSM pictures seem to indicate this would not be the case on my '77. Is that correct - I need to drop the tank?
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Re: Should I just let it run out of gas?

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Got to drop the tank, bud. Not too bad of a job, though. I've gotten so good at mine I can have it removed and reinstalled in under an hour if it's empty.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I've got to do the same with mine soon as my sending unit is not working properly. I do have a poly tank though, so I guess that might help? lol.

will e

Post by will e »

You guys don't have an access panel?

I would get a couple of gallons of a gas in a can and drive it till it dies. But be aware, with Fuel Injection, no last pump to get you out from where it dies. I would probably pick a decent stretch of highway and drive back and forth or so for 10 miles until it dies. With an electric fuel pump you shouldn't have any issues getting the system primed again. If you do, then call AAA.

But I am lazy and would live with it until it was just unusable.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I would drop it with some gas in it. Gas is not that heavy, like 6 lbs/gal. Use your floor jack and a helper to get it down. Hold it up in there with the jack, and then lower it when you're ready. Once it's down, you can dump out whatever gas remains and make it easier to put back in place.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

I'm getting a good feel on my fuel mileage - so I know how far I should be able to go. So maybe I'll try pushing it for 17-18 gallons of driving and see where that gets me. With an full 2 gallon can in the back. Finding out that I can safely go to E would be valuable. Or finding out that below 1/4 on the gauge it takes a LONG time to get to E. That would be valuable, too.

Depending on how that goes, maybe I'll drop the tank and replace the sending unit.

I can't really take the lazy route. Besides being a toy for me, this is meant to be a fallback vehicle for my wife who opted for the Wagoneer over getting a newer minivan for herself (yes...I'm a lucky guy...I know it). She won't drive either of my manual-shift cars unless her life depended upon it (TJ and RX-8). So I'm on a mission to make this a wife-friendly driver...and driving around worrying about running out of gas is not going to cut it.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

ferrum

Post by ferrum »

I had bad sending unit on my Cherokee. I did exactly what you are planning on doing. I had 3 gallons in the jeep when I ran out of gas. This made dropping tank easy. I have GM TBI. When engine stalled out, I had about 1-2 gallons left. I added about 1 gallon to get me home as I was close.
'76 Cherokee Chief

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

My E light works fine on my wagoneer.. Once it on ive driven anotjer 10 or 15 miles just fine. Most ive ever filled up the tank at was 18 gallons
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

I don't think there is an E light on my '77.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

Curly

Post by Curly »

No advice on your problem,but noticed in your signature that we own the same jeeps. Great minds and all that. :)
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

will e wrote:You guys don't have an access panel
Nope. The access panel didn't show up until some time in the '80s.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I'd make or buy an intank fuel pump and make an access cover unless you don't want to make an access hole under the rear seat.
In tank keeps the pump cool submerged under the gas keeping fuel sent cooler, and prolonging the pump life. Also super quiet. You can make one for about 120-150$ If your under 30psi or buy a Novak one for $325 ready to go.

It's nice to have a gauge that works. I would also take off your gauge from the instrument cluster and clean it up and check the contacts on the circuit board for corrosion.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.