Fuse block??

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Fuse block??

Post by 1979bettywhite »

So my chief is mostly original as far as body and most of the drivetrain is concerned. But the owner previous to the one I bought it from had blown the original engine. A mechanic, who seemed to be fairly good at his craft swapped in a 1990 360 into her. Using mostly accessories parts etc from the chief. To my knowledge the original TH400 and QT were mated to the new motor.

Now to my question. The chief has what appears to be factory a/c. I am in the process of getting it back up and running. I pulled the box out (left the evaporator connected, just removed it from the box). Going to replace the switch, tstat and blower motor.

I had a reputable a/c shop evacuate everything and take a quick look at it. He mentioned to me that the compressor was only getting 9v or so, not a full 12v. Now I may have some electrical gremlins somewhere but everything seems to be working properly. He told me that I needed to check through the wiring to be on the safe side and make sure there was not a short somewhere. I want to make sure I get the right connections for the a/c switch and thermostat.

There is a blue wire as well as a red wire coming in to the a/c switch. There is then a red jumper wire from the switch to the thermostat. Finally there is a wire that runs from the thermostat to the blower motor. Then a ground wire off the blower motor.

I assume that the red wire coming from outside the box is 12v power. I then assume that the blue wire sends a signal to the compressor that power is engaged, thus engaging the clutch. And I assume the blower motor recieves its power from the thermostat. First of all, does this sound right?

And finally, here is a picture of my current fuse block. I am in the process of cleaning up connections.

The large yellow wire is fused and feeds power to both the heater switch in the dash as well as providing the power for the a/c switch. This is probably not the original setup, lol. The blue wire you see there is plugged into the a/c compressor block. The smaller yellow wire provides power to three aftermarket gagues (temp, volt, mech oil pressure).

So can you guys tell me is my wiring is correct (or will work in the current state)? Where does the original power for the a/c switch come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgreese

Re: Fuse block??

Post by tgreese »

Not being a pain (hopefully) when asking - have you looked at the 1979 wiring diagram? The 1979 TSM is online at www.oljeep.com ...
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I have looked at both the wiring diagram for the 79, and 78. They do have different fuse blocks. Mine is the 78. I just can't see where the switch gets its power from. I can see where the compressor patches into the fuse block, so I think that connection is correct on mine. Just did not know if there was a specific spot to draw 12v power from or if any switched 12v power will work? And you are not being a pain. Have been through the wiring diagram a few times for this beast, lol....

letank

Post by letank »

first question: did you do the ammeter bypass. 12.5v at the battery to 9v is a very large drop, and I suspect that your ammeter wiring is part of voltage drop.

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13337

check ammeter bypass that is now a sticky on the mothership

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=184890
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I have not, but I am running the stock alternator, have clean connections and just tightened the nuts back down. I guess I could do it, but I would like to do it the right way and completely remove the ammeter wiring. I already use an aftermarket voltmeter. But the ammeter is still operational.