How to ID the source of squealing when accelerating and/or bypass AC compressor? 84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
memsiej

How to ID the source of squealing when accelerating and/or bypass AC compressor? 84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Post by memsiej »

It squeals loudly but only when I'm accelerating. When I brake or slow, no sound. No sound when idling. I took it to a local Firestone and they said it MAYBE had something to do with the AC compressor but that they didn't dissect those so I had to take it somewhere else. Is there a way to just bypass the compressor or more definitively diagnose the problem? The AC has never even worked. If it's just loud and obnoxious, I don't care. But if it's "the compressor is about to explode and BEEP up everything under the hood" then yea, I'm more worried.
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: How to ID the source of squealing when accelerating and/or bypass AC compressor? 84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Post by Stuka »

Sounds like maybe a belt is slipping? You should be able to remove the belt and get one for a Jeep without AC, so you can still run it to the alternator. As I recall GW's shared a belt for the AC and alternator. But I would check to see if they are both tight and in good condition first.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Re: How to ID the source of squealing when accelerating and/or bypass AC compressor? 84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Post by letank »

do not neglect the PS pump being noisy too, as said above, disconnect the AC alternator belt, test, if still noisy then you can disconnect the PS belt, remember now that the water pump is not running, so you can ONLY go around the block
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)