1979 Jeep Cherokee widetrack dome lights

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
79CCPathKiller

1979 Jeep Cherokee widetrack dome lights

Post by 79CCPathKiller »

So guys my question this time it is what kind of dome lights were used for the front and rear on the 79 Cherokee’s? Right now I have a round one in the front and the back one was missing and it appears to be the original wiring but it’s kind of hard to tell it’s a typical 3 1/2ish inch round pretty shallow style light. I need to know if both the front and back were the round ones and if so does anybody have an extra? It appears that mine has a chrome ring on the outside and then a whitish now yellow plastic lens in the center. I am on able to find reproduction that specifically states for that year. Thanks in advance guys!
79 CC aka PathKiller. 6" lift, 36" TSL's, 360 AT QT, Edlebrock intake a 4 bbl, stainless headers, one off stainless exhaust.
01 XJ 7.5" lift, 33" Dunlop Mudrovers, steering box upgrade and PS cooler.

1979bettywhite

Re: 1979 Jeep Cherokee widetrack dome lights

Post by 1979bettywhite »

My 78 has this style front and rear:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Dome-Light-As ... p_987.html

Have you removed the light completely? My hunch is that someone might have botched the headliner somehow underneath and created a larger hole. Thus needing a larger dome light to cover it up. Or they thought the round version might give off better light.

I switched to these in my dome lights and it made a world of difference:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0177 ... UTF8&psc=1

Can now see at night if I open the door, lol.

Topic author
79CCPathKiller

Post by 79CCPathKiller »

Thanks! thats the problem is those specify up to 78. I was trying to stay original as possible and not have to buy 2 whole new ones but its def a start. That was my plan too to get LED bulbs because those factory style filament bulbs are weak!
79 CC aka PathKiller. 6" lift, 36" TSL's, 360 AT QT, Edlebrock intake a 4 bbl, stainless headers, one off stainless exhaust.

Topic author
79CCPathKiller

Post by 79CCPathKiller »

I have taken the headliner out. The holes are just big enough to get the round dome light through on an angle and doesn't look like its been hacked at. plus the wiring that ties the two lights together is soldered on and looks very factory. I do electronics related stuff the soldering doesn't look new at all and the wiring looks all original. that's why I'm not sure but I may just go with the good ones just another $60 I mean whats $60 when I'm this far into this thing already hahaha

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

1979bettywhite wrote:I switched to these in my dome lights and it made a world of difference:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0177 ... UTF8&psc=1

Can now see at night if I open the door, lol.
I am running the same. Really nice, IMO. Bright white light...not dim yellow.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Yeah. Where do you think I got the idea? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Ahhh...well, then, I'm glad to hear someone else likes them as much as I do :>
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.