Door Chime - Is this Normal?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Iceman0502

Door Chime - Is this Normal?

Post by Iceman0502 »

I finally installed new light assemblies in my overhead console - 89 Wagoneer.
The door chime will ding went I turn the roof lights on and the truck is not on (no key in ignition). It will also ding for a few seconds after shutting the truck off, like it needs to loss some power

I need to replace from door jam switches (rock auto had the incorrect listing), but the rears work. The chime will ding when the door is open and lights on.

This may get annoying if the chime goes off every time the door is open.

Is this working the way Jeep Engineers intended?

fulsizjeep

Re: Door Chime - Is this Normal?

Post by fulsizjeep »

It would help to list what year and model. That is normal on GWs. So normal, I removed the chime on my 88.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Iceman0502

Post by Iceman0502 »

I mentioned 89 Wagoneer in above post but may not have been in the correct place.

So this is just as wacky as only using the horn when the ignition is turned on?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

My bad. You did! :-bd
Yep, my horn also works only when key is ON or ACC.
Flint Boardman

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

What chime lol.. i was lucky on my 90 when i got it.. someone already removed that chime..

lol out if curiosity where is the chime located . A light on my dash that never come on is the seat belt light lol.. i never knew it had one until i saw videos of thrm lol.

My horn only works when hey is in power as well.. I replaced my horn button which had micro cracks all in the plastic with a better one and when i pushed thr horn i was like huh ok they key needs to be turned
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Iceman0502

Post by Iceman0502 »

Thanks

These trucks are really funny when looking at the wire diagrams.

Horn gets power after the ignition..... so you cant honk at someone when siting in the car ... okay

Also the front door switches and dimmer only control the courtesy lights under the dash. Yet the dome light is controlled by the rear door switches. I may splice the grounds together one day and turn them all on at the same time.

My next adventure will be the rear cargo light. I have to install locate the wires install the roof switch and find out where I put the light wire harness. It will be a mystery when I drop the headliner in the next couple of months.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ya i dont like how much front dome lights on the console dont come on when the door is open only the two rear on the console come on.

The two front ones have to turned on manually.. its weird

The rear dome light wires run along the cardboard headliner to the side of the roof where the headliner mount into and then they run along that side to the pillar by the drivers door.

Thats not hard. I removed my stock dome light anyway.. I used the hole in the headliner where it mounted.. so instead mount a soundbar from a 5.9 98 grand cherokee.. and oddly there were two holes in the ceiling framing on each side that the soundbar could screw into lol so its weird how that all worked out easily.

For a new dome light in the rear i bought a LED light bar and wired it into the existing wiring and mounted in the square slot of the sound bar.. which fit perfectly oddly lols.

Then my console i fixed by replacing blown capacitors so now it works again and i replaced all the push buttons on the circuit boards for the lights.. and replace them with led bulbs.

Also replaced my dash lights with leds and i plan to do the floor lighting with leds too
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

The front lamps are map lights. Anyone remember maps? ;) The idea is you don't want map lights to come on with dome lights and vice versa.
Flint Boardman

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

fulsizjeep wrote:The front lamps are map lights. Anyone remember maps? ;) The idea is you don't want map lights to come on with dome lights and vice versa.
Ah yes! Those primitive paper scrolls that informed directions of paved paths. I believe they were from the educational era where humans actually had to read things that were not on an electronic device.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

Iceman0502 wrote:Thanks

Also the front door switches and dimmer only control the courtesy lights under the dash. Yet the dome light is controlled by the rear door switches. I may splice the grounds together one day and turn them all on at the same time.
I thought this was only my Wagoneer that did this. Thought the PO had monkeyed with the wiring. Seems kind of dumb that you open the driver door and only the footwell lights come on. The horn not working without the ignition is a Jeep thing. My '87 Cherokee had that same "feature".

Thanks for posting that little tidbit.
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....