Master Switch no longer rolling passenger windows down ?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Master Switch no longer rolling passenger windows down ?

Post by candymancan »

My Master switch on the drivers door has been acting funky the past few months.. One day it works, the other it wont roll the passenger windows down. But it will roll them up. If i bang on the switch it usually got it to work again. Now it only works on the passenger side rear door and the drivers rear door it wont roll down. Using the passengers door switch it works fine though.

Also when i try to roll the door down using the master switch all my electronics on the dash go to 0 volts and gauges drop to 0 if i let off they go back to normal.. I dont hold it down as im afraid to start a fire.. Its very strange, i did take the back panel of the switch off to use some dielectric grease on the pins and clean them up a little.

Im wondering if that did something.. Ill take it off and see if something is loose maybe a pin isnt getting a good connection. But why it causes all the electrical in the vehicle to drop to 0 volts if i try to roll it down.. like i shut the car off is very strange..
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Master Switch no longer rolling passenger windows down ?

Post by candymancan »

Seems i always ask the tough non answered questions lol.

Found the issue. the thick orange wire in the harness rubbed through its insulation and was touching the metal door so if i pushed the button for the rear door it would short out.

Seems the window motors in this Jeep isnt fused either.. another thing to start fires.

Uhg I need to add a inline fuse to the power going to the doors
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

babywag

Re: Master Switch no longer rolling passenger windows down ?

Post by babywag »

common issue to have worn or damaged wiring in doors or where entering doors.
power windows are on a cicuit breaker, but if you really want add a fuse it won’t hurt anything.

pushing close 30yr mark...wiring wears out, gets damaged, needs attention and repairs. pretty standard on any old car.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)