Installing power seats from Dodge Durango into 1978 J10

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
88amcsuv

Installing power seats from Dodge Durango into 1978 J10

Post by 88amcsuv »

I bought a pair of near perfect front bucket seats from a Dodge Durango. I bought these because somewhere I read that Dodge Dakota seats bolted in perfect. I was looking for a Dakota as well as manual seats but only found Durangos and the ones I found all had power drivers seat. I couldn't turn them down for $30.00 a piece. Aftermarket seat covers from the parts stores cost half that much. One reason I went ahead with the power seats was that the controls are on the seat so I figured a hot and a ground was all it would take to get them to work. What my problem is I don't know how to hook up the hot and ground correctly. I realize I will need a relay to help protect the wiring from burning up I just don't know where to put it or what kind to use. Can I find a switched wire and tie into it then put a relay and go from there to the seat? I have other topics started about the same truck about putting the guts out of a Grand Wagoneer door in the J10 door to have power windows and locks. Just like wiring up the seats I need info on wiring up the doors. I'm thinking maybe they should be wired to some sort of add on fuse bar or something I just don't know enough to figure it out. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone on this site for being here and helping us that are less knowledgeable about things to survive the FSJ addiction better.
1976 AMC Gremlin V-8 ordered new, needs restoring
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 401, turbo 400, dana 20 twin stick, dana 44's with 3:73 gears and 4 wheel disc brakes, 33x10.50Rx15LT tires on factory slots, hydro boost, 6 inch Rusty's lift (removing rear 2" blocks and put new 4" front springs can't get in too high), with new upholstery, carpet, stereo and speakers, my own version of on and off road emergency kit.
1998 Mercury Mountaineer daily driver
2006 Ford F-150, Lariat, extended cab, 5.4L, 2WD

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Installing power seats from Dodge Durango into 1978 J10

Post by Stuka »

Will be curious to see how they fit.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
88amcsuv

Post by 88amcsuv »

I installed the Dodge Durango seats in my 1978 Jeep J10 today. The drivers side Durango seat was power but you have to change tracks so it is no longer a power seat. The 4 studs on the bottom of the Jeep seat and the 4 studs on the bottom of the Durango seat are identical. You remove the tracks from the Durango seat and use the tracks from the Jeep seats and they are a bolt in. It would have been better if I could have found some manual seats because some of the power seat motors and gear drives had to stay on the bottom of the Durango seat. Not going to bother anything but I know they are there. I was looking for the manual seats from a Dakota but these are what I found. I could not believe how rotten the original seats were. The metal frame work of the seats was almost rusted/corroded away never saw anything like it. The seats are perfect not the right material by any means but they are a tan cloth and not a tear or rip in them. I looked at a bunch and they were all worn out and ripped up just lucked up on these. Truck still not home so no pictures until I can fix a few other things wrong with it.
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 401, turbo 400, dana 20 twin stick, dana 44's with 3:73 gears and 4 wheel disc brakes, 33x10.50Rx15LT tires on factory slots, hydro boost, 6 inch Rusty's lift (removing rear 2" blocks and put new 4" front springs can't get in too high), with new upholstery, carpet, stereo and speakers, my own version of on and off road emergency kit.

letank

Post by letank »

interesting, which year Durango?
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

When I put Seats from a conversion van into my Jeep was a pain. Had to drill the brackets for the motors...but they actually look good. They sit a bit higher and they are super comfy :) They need recovered though...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
88amcsuv

Post by 88amcsuv »

You know I have no idea what year they came out of. I just looked through the yard at all the Durango's they had and found these. I'm going back to get the seat belts later so I will try and find out then what year they came out of.