Clutch ticking noise

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Brly

Clutch ticking noise

Post by Brly »

Sunday I drove the truck around in the yard. I locked the hubs and had no problem getting into 4 wheel drive. Going down a slight grade, it popped out of 4 wheel drive with a fairly loud bang, went right back into 2 wheel drive on it's own and I kept driving. Pulling into the garage I noticed a ticking noise with the clutch pedal in. When the clutch pedal is out (engaged), the noise goes away. Everything still functions fine.
I assume something bent or broke when it popped out of 4 wheel drive. It sounds like thin sheet metal hitting or being hit by something rotating, coming from the transmission/transfer case area.
Any ideas what it might be?
1966 Jeep J3600 Gladiator - AMC 327/T18/D20

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Clutch ticking noise

Post by Stuka »

The popping out of 4wd is most likely a result of either not being fully in 4wd, or a worn intermediary shaft in the t-case, which is an issue that D20's have after a few decades of use.

For the noise, the only sheet metal down there is the dust shield. Which is easy enough to inspect, and remove if need be. With it removed you can view the backside of the clutch, see if there are any marks on it, one half at a time anyway.Do you feel anything in the pedal when its depressed?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

4bz

Post by 4bz »

For the clutch ticking noise, check to see if the release fork is hitting the clutch cover. You may need to have someone else depress the clutch pedal while you watch from underneath the vehicle. If you cannot see the potential point of contact, you could put a strip of paper or thin plastic inside, and see if it can still be removed with the clutch pedal depressed (no contact). If there is contact between the release fork and the clutch cover, the fix is to readjust the clutch.

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

Thanks for the info guys. Didn't get a chance to look at it last night. I did read through the clutch adjustment in the service manual last night and I'm pretty sure the adjustment is off based on pedal free play and when the pedal cams over. Might get a chance to work on it tonight.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

I adjusted the clutch, and while it feels much better, the ticking is still there when it's disengaged.
Took the dust cover off. It had a layer of oil/grease on the inside, so it would've been easy to see if something was rubbing. Didn't see anything.
Had my wife press the pedal while I was under there and again, didn't see anything out of order. Everything looked clean and in good shape.
Guess I'll have to get under the truck while it's running and have my wife work the clutch.