Need Idiots Guide to Adjusting Shift Linkage

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
memsiej

Need Idiots Guide to Adjusting Shift Linkage

Post by memsiej »

Been pouring over the internet and can't find a how-to that's leaving me confident that I'll be going at this the right way. I need an "adjusting shift linkage for dummies" or something. It'll only start in N, or in P if I hold the shift lever up.

Would love to see someone do this, but I don't know many car-savvy people to lead the way and I'm not finding any videos.
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

FSJ Guy

Re: Need Idiots Guide to Adjusting Shift Linkage

Post by FSJ Guy »

Put the parking brake on and CHOCK THE WHEELS SO THE VEHICLE CAN NOT MOVE.

Put the gear shift in Park and loosen the linkage. Adjust the transmission so it is in Park. Tighten the linkage.
Turn on the engine and test the gearshift for proper engagement and alignment.

Check the linkage while you're there. The bushings might be worn out, too.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

4bz

Post by 4bz »

Steering column mounted shift levers for automatic transmissions can also be affected by loose or broken motor mounts. The problem is that the motor and transmission can shift to a new location when the motor mounts are loose. The steering column stays in place, so the transmission stretches (or pushes) against the shifter linkage. If you readjust the linkage and adjustment does not last, check the motor mounts (there are typically three mounts, two on the block and one between the transmission and transfer case).

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

from my build thread. Am i IDing things correctly? Which part am I actually "adjusting"? That's the stupid question I cant find the answer to.

I THINK I color matched the parts on this diagram, except I have no idea what L Blue and R White are. They can't be the same thing- they're on opposite sides. Anyway, I think what needs adjusting is somewhere around here. I could pretty easily wiggle the Red bar going into the Green socket, dunno what that means.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

You will want to adjust the clamp circled in yellow. (Upper right corner, for those who are colorblind)

X2 on worn motor mounts. (Replace them with poly and you'll never have to replace them again!)
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

FWIW -

I found a package of shock and sway bar endlinks at AutoZone in the Dorman Help section that worked as a bushing for the shift linkage where it rides in the green circle:

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-ste ... 426049_0_0

Found one of the bushings to be the exact OD and ID for the linkage rod. Does not move around anymore as I had 0 busing in mine before.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

You're all proof that not all heroes wear capes. Thanks!! I'll get under there tomorrow and hopefully get it all worked out.