courtesy lights always on

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
merrill77

courtesy lights always on

Post by merrill77 »

After completing the alternator bypass, I have power again :D

But, as the title says, courtesy lights will not turn off :( I am assuming this is a coincidence. So it looks like I will be pulling the 4 door switches and light switch today to diagnose. Is there anything else I should be looking at? My searches indicate this is not a common problem.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

fulsizjeep

Re: courtesy lights always on

Post by fulsizjeep »

My first guess is one of the door switches. 2nd guess is there is a power short to ground in the courtesy light circuit.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Normally you turn the light switch knob and the click at the end turns the interior lights on. Did you mess with the headlight switch?

I would expect that the courtesy light is a "normal" circuit, ie the ground goes to the car body at the light, and power to the light is turned on and off by some switch upstream of the light. Check the circuit diagram.

If that's not it, you can trace backwards with your multimeter starting with the interior light and moving back along the circuit towards the battery. You will find a place where a switch or other component should be open, and it's not.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

tgreese wrote:Normally you turn the light switch knob and the click at the end turns the interior lights on. Did you mess with the headlight switch?
Oh yes, good one. :-bd I've had the rotating switch get stuck on before and changed out the light switch to fix it.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

fulsizjeep wrote:
tgreese wrote:Normally you turn the light switch knob and the click at the end turns the interior lights on. Did you mess with the headlight switch?
Oh yes, good one. :-bd I've had the rotating switch get stuck on before and changed out the light switch to fix it.
Ya know, I specifically checked that last night...with the drivers door open. I guess shouldn't be troubleshooting things at 10:30 at night :shock:
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.