Gauges/Heat Fan/Power Locks and Windows Intermitent

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
kn4jpd

Gauges/Heat Fan/Power Locks and Windows Intermitent

Post by kn4jpd »

Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing an '89 Grand Wagoneer. The seller has disclosed that the dash gauges, heat/ac fan, power locks and windows all work intermittently. They believe it is a faulty ground that is causing the issue. I'm new to the forum and am curious if this is a common problem? Hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction to solve the issue quickly and cheap!

Is this a problem that should affect my decision to purchase, or is this a relatively easy repair?

fulsizjeep

Re: Gauges/Heat Fan/Power Locks and Windows Intermitent

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome to the forum! :-bd

Electrical problems tend to exist in many FSJs. Power locks and electric windows tend to have their own issues, both mechanical and electrical. The last Grand Wagoneer was built in 91 which is 27 years ago. That is plenty of time for electrical issues to come up. Some are introduced by previous owners and auto shops. That said, grounding is a common problem. From the battery, there should be a ground to the fender well and the engine (usually somewhere near where the AC compressor mounts). There should be a ground strap from the engine block to the frame at the left motor mount. That is usually where I start if I think I have a ground problem. The condition of the battery cables plays a role. You could be looking at one that has never had the cables replaced.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

That's not a deal breaker. Could be a good thing that nothing has been messed with too much because that's normal if you don't do the maintenance on it.

I would check wiring for obvious sloppy electrical hacks and things that look like out of original. If it looks original I'd buy it and fix all the problems.. most of it can be done by cleaning up corrosion on things and replacing aged out components.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

lma tell ya sometjing. Ive owned a 90 for 2 years this month.. Ive done electrical. rust. cosmetic.. suspension repairs and other nicknacks.

Electrical would be on my list of minor things. this is how i see things 1 being high and 10 being low.

1. Mechanical problems like engine transmission busted differentials and so forth.

2. Bad paint Job... Yes fading gone paint can cost 3-5k $ to fix properly.. this is a big one .. Personally i wouldnt buy a Jeep with clearcoat thats gone and paint thats washing off

3. Rust.

4. Exhaust issues

4. Electrical.

5. Interior cosmetic problems.

When i bought my jeep people said rust was a priority over mechanical issues... i 10000% disagree.. I learned to weld easily with a cheap 100$ flux core welder... Rust has been a big enemy for me .. but easier then tearing down an engine having issues or a bad transmission..

thats me though.

If everything has an intermident issue like this then the problem is most likely one main source thats bad. And can be fixed.

I WOULD however use this as barganing chip to lower the selling price.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)