T176 to auto swap

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
nstevic01

T176 to auto swap

Post by nstevic01 »

I keep seeing threads about going from an auto to a manual, I'm actually looking to do the exact opposite. I currently have the 360 mated to the T176 transmission and an NP208 t-case in my 81 J10 Short bed. I know finding a donor vehicle would be ideal, but down here in Florida these trucks are nowhere to be found.

So Im looking for a list of parts to get me started:

- TH400 or maybe even the TH700R4 or any other auto trans that may work
- Transfer case (which one can I use and retain my existing drive shafts and axles - driver drop in front, AMC20 in the back)
- Steering Column from an auto
- Transmission tunnel cover
- ?
- ?

Even better would be to find someone that would want to meet up and swap transmission/transfer cases. Figured I would post here first while researching. I've already spent most of the day on Novak's site trying to figure things out.

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: T176 to auto swap

Post by Stuka »

The only trans that will work without adapters is an 80+ TF727 from another FSJ. It bolts to your engine, bolts toy our t-case, and you can use a floor shifter if you want. You will need new drive shafts.

If you want to use any other trans, you need adapters. Yes, there was a TH400 that bolts to AMC engines, but your t-case won't work. 700r4 will work with your t-case (if its the right version), but you need an adapter to your engine.

Just depends how much you want to spend :) If it was me, I would go with a 727. Very common, plenty reliable. but HAS to be a Jeep version.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

JMO - swapping vehicles would make more sense. There are plenty more Jeep trucks out there with automatics than manual transmissions. Something like a 10 or 20 to one ratio. Just find a suitable replacement truck, buy it and sell what you have. Jeep pickups do not go for big money like the Wagoneers.

Both the TH400 and TF727 are aold-school automatics that lose a lot of power and economy to internal slippage. Strong, but not very efficient.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
nstevic01

Post by nstevic01 »

tgreese wrote:JMO - swapping vehicles would make more sense. There are plenty more Jeep trucks out there with automatics than manual transmissions. Something like a 10 or 20 to one ratio. Just find a suitable replacement truck, buy it and sell what you have. Jeep pickups do not go for big money like the Wagoneers.

Both the TH400 and TF727 are aold-school automatics that lose a lot of power and economy to internal slippage. Strong, but not very efficient.
I thought about it, but for what I have in this now, it wouldn't make sense. Buying a truck with the drivetrain I want, in running condition, goes for between 8-20k down here with a good body and interior. Whereas I can just get the tranny, case, and shafts for under 1k. Plus I spent the better part of 2 years finding a decent one close enough to home, I can't imagine how much longer it would take me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If I were you and wanted an automatic (unlikely), I would skip the AMC gear and go directly to a modern MPI Chevy V8 with overdrive automatic. You may as well make the truck more valuable in the process. To me, swapping from the scarce easy-shifting 4-speed to a plentiful antiquated automatic seems like an obvious value destroyer.

Someone will want your parts. People are always posting about conversion from automatic to manual.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.