MSD 6AL=2 Wiring Problems - '77 Chief

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Tio Pancho

MSD 6AL=2 Wiring Problems - '77 Chief

Post by Tio Pancho »

Basic info - '77 Chief, 360 with a Prestolite Distributor.
Ok, so I wired up the MSD Box and I am getting no spark. I used the diagram I found here on another thread and the MSD instructions. I used the original connector just so I didn't make a bunch of crimps and need to remove. Once done I will make a permanent connection.
So the power and ground to the battery is a no brainer. The orange went to coil positive and the black to the coil negative. For the switched hot I used the red wire from the original connector (see pic). I did not use the green wire from the original connector as it went to coil negative and I did not have a wire from the MSD box for it.
For the distributor I used the white and blue from the original connector (see pic).

In my mind the problem is on the coil. If the MSD wire took the place of the coil negative wire, should one or both of the existing wires be disconnected?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 Cherokee Chief
360 w/ Turbo 400
Work in Progress :D

68glad

Re: MSD 6AL=2 Wiring Problems - '77 Chief

Post by 68glad »

Can tell what the 1st pic is but the white wire is used on a distributor w/ points....which i think the 77 has. If so, I'd jumper the switched red hot to the battery for testing & also to double check power to module. If your sure the unit is powering up it's ok on the coil positive in the connector. Hook the white wire to the green from the connector. The orange and black are correct.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Looking at the diagram you linked, that WILL NOT WORK with a Prestolite distributor. Only the Motorcraft distributor will work that way. 1978 or newer.

Scrap the Prestolite stuff and use a Motorcraft distributor from a '78 or newer AMC V8 or a Delco points distributor from a '74 or older. The Prestolite distributor is incompatible with everything except its own module.

NOT SUGGESTING THIS, BUT you should be able to connect the Prestolite ignition like the diagram titled "Installing to points/amplifier style ignition." If any config will work, that would be it. In that case, you must keep the Prestolite module and add the MSD module. Not a great option, IMO, because you keep the unreliable Prestolite ignition parts in the mix.

The Delco with the MSD is a pretty good setup - when used to trigger the MSD module, the points last nearly forever since the MSD handles the coil switching. The points become a low voltage / low current signal for the MSD to fire.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Tio Pancho

Post by Tio Pancho »

Ended up installing a Summit brand HEI distributor with the MSD box. After a few rounds of problem solving I got it fired! All said it sound pretty damn good. Ran it off a fuel can, because it can't draw fuel from the tank.
Today was a good day.
1977 Cherokee Chief
360 w/ Turbo 400
Work in Progress :D

68glad

Post by 68glad »

Nice! Glad you got it going.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.