Y Pipes

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author

Y Pipes

Post by 007 »

Does anyone make an off-the-shelf Y pipe for a 78 Cherokee? Every Y pipe I find is for 1980 and newer. Even BJ's says these won't work for some reason...

1979bettywhite

Re: Y Pipes

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Even if there was, you might not like the quality. Best bet is to find a muffler shop and have them custom make one for you. Will be much better than anything you could buy off the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author

Post by 007 »

1979bettywhite wrote:Even if there was, you might not like the quality. Best bet is to find a muffler shop and have them custom make one for you. Will be much better than anything you could buy off the shelf.

I thought about that. I’m waiting on a call back on a quote for exhaust from manifolds back. So far, everyone seems pretty proud of their Y pipe handiwork...

Topic author

Post by 007 »

Well I've shopped around and there's a place I've done business with before on my CJ that says $402 to go from the manifolds back to a single tailpipe. Not sure I can do much better...

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

You can't do much better than that. I got the walker y-pipe that BJs sells (or at least used to) and had to chop it all up and re-weld it. It "fit" so to speak, but hung down below the driveshaft taking away a good 8" of clearance, and once I cut it apart, I found the actual y-junction just had a 1" hole drilled into the straight pipe with the adjoining pipe welded around the hole. HUGE restriction! I re-configured it to go above the driveshaft and opened up the joint proper.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author

Post by 007 »

REDONE wrote:You can't do much better than that. I got the walker y-pipe that BJs sells (or at least used to) and had to chop it all up and re-weld it. It "fit" so to speak, but hung down below the driveshaft taking away a good 8" of clearance, and once I cut it apart, I found the actual y-junction just had a 1" hole drilled into the straight pipe with the adjoining pipe welded around the hole. HUGE restriction! I re-configured it to go above the driveshaft and opened up the joint proper.
Thank you... I’m gonna go with them. He seems like a pretty fair guy.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

That does sound like a good deal honestly. You may want to give them leeway to route the y-pipe how they see fit to keep it tucked up as much as possible. If you are thinking about lifting the jeep, keep in mind that the y pipe may interfere with the front DS at full droop.

Topic author

Post by 007 »

1979bettywhite wrote:That does sound like a good deal honestly. You may want to give them leeway to route the y-pipe how they see fit to keep it tucked up as much as possible. If you are thinking about lifting the jeep, keep in mind that the y pipe may interfere with the front DS at full droop.

Good thought. Thank you. I really doubt I will. Plan for this to be a tow rig so 30/9.5/15s and load carriers all the way around.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

I paid more than that for just a Y pipe. But it was a mandrel bend y pipe.

Make sure you can easily remove the "crossover" section of the y pipe for easy access to the oil pan and rear main seal. I prefer the long band clamp style clamps to the usual McParts store crush and crimp connectors.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!