fsj brakes

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Longjohn61

fsj brakes

Post by Longjohn61 »

Hi guys i have a brake question for my 1980 cherokee chief.
after doing my brakes i am still not able to lock my front brakes,i have replaced everything:new calipers brake-hoses new rotors
new brakelines all of them. new mc and booster.even proportional valve. and on the rear all new as well.

The only thing i can think is that my booster is to small (dual 7") this one https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tff-2122nb-2
The old one was a single 10" booster not the original with some offset bracket.
i don't have the space for a bigger one cause my intake is in the way.
I have a 4.0 high output replaced by the po.
I have no air in my brake system the pedal is hard so i think that's good.
Any suggestions? or questions

/Greetings from Sweden Nils
1980 Cherokee Chief 4.0L Fuel injected

Topic author
Longjohn61

Re: fsj brakes

Post by Longjohn61 »

This is how it was before Image

Today Image

/Nils

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

You might need to adjust the pedal rod. I think I did when I went from a single diaphragm to dual.

Also, please tell me that your brake lines are not made from copper tube...
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

First, copper tubing is note rated for the pressure seen in a brake system. (Most 1/4" copper tubing is in the 800-900psi range, braking systems see up to and over 2000psi)

Second, yup, rod going into the booster is too short. Its adjustable to a point as I recall. Had to make a new one for an old XJ we had when I converted it from bendix to standard brakes.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Longjohn61

Post by Longjohn61 »

well its not pure copper its an alloy and its the most common here in Sweden
every shop sells them.And here in Sweden you have to let your car checked every year and the they check everything if you don't do that you won't be able to insure the car.So copper alloy i normal here.
i would love to have stainless but shipping cost are not cheap for a complete kit like for example the one bjs sells.
About the booster i came with a new push rod and i have adjusted it so that's not the problem.(picture)
i think the only option is to go hydroboost .
No copper alloy brake lines in the us? Just steel or stainless?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, no copper here. Steel is way cheaper.

With the engine off, how hard is the brake pedal? Does it feel squishy at all? If so, you have air some place. This is after the vacuum boost is used up of course.
2017 JKU Rubicon

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Copper fsj radiator weighing in at 40 lbs or so you can get like 70$ for as scrap. A steel door weighing the same you can get only like 10$ at the most lol.

Anyway ive never seen copper brake lines before in the us its all steel..
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

Steel lines are just cheap for the manufacturers. People keep vehicles longer now. He's saying it's a copper alloy in Sweden (not just copper). Copper-nickel alloy is better than plain steel lines. That's what a lot of people put in here in Canada when the steel lines rust off. More durable in salt spray conditions. Here's a web article:

http://www.copper.org/applications/auto ... brake.html
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

As far as your brakes go what pads did you put on ? there is a HUGE difference in pads. normally the cheap pads brake the best, the long life expensive ones are just that, long life, because they don't cause friction.

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

If rod length is ok, did you check to see if you have enough vacuum or if there was a vacuum leak somewhere? Where did you get the proportioning valve?
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....

will e

Post by will e »

67GMC wrote:Steel lines are just cheap for the manufacturers. People keep vehicles longer now. He's saying it's a copper alloy in Sweden (not just copper). Copper-nickel alloy is better than plain steel lines. That's what a lot of people put in here in Canada when the steel lines rust off. More durable in salt spray conditions. Here's a web article:

http://www.copper.org/applications/auto ... brake.html
That's cool. You learn something new every day. That's what I love about these forums. I clicked on one a few years ago about 'how to drill a hole'. I learned the max RPM for a drill bit is related to it's size due to the heat created from larger drill bits. Interesting stuff.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Longjohn61

Post by Longjohn61 »

Yes its a copper-nickel alloy. the most common problem i just rusted brake lines. steel-lines are hard to find here.
No vacuum leaks checked all today. Pedal is hard and push rod i adjusted correctly.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/clp-pv-2 this is the prop. valve i bought disc/drums directly bolt on. Bought here in sweden but they got it from summit.

These are brake pads i have.

Maybe the booster is to small?
By the way this is how my old booster looked the po liked to weld i think.

Went for a test drive today and yes its better then before but i expected a better result.
Can the tires have to do something with it? I am currently running on winter tires they have a softer compound the summer tires.
so maybe to much friction??

/Nils

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

No copper in the US? Ive been running NiCopp lines for half a decade, live in the salt belt, and they still look and perform like new. Never had an issue with annual inspection here in NY either. You guys really never heard of copper line here? Its a nickle copper iron alloy and you can buy it at basically any local parts store
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Never seen it in any auto parts store i have been in, here in Virginia all their brake lines are visible in the back like the hoses and stuff and they are all steel
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Gotta ask for it in a roll. Comes in 25, 50 ans 100 foot rolls
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

My local Advance Auto Parts carries the Nicopp lines along with the steel lines. I use the Nicopp exclusively for brakes now, and I buy it by the 25' roll from eBay sellers. 3/16" size is about $1/ft, which is roughly twice what steel line costs. Also sold as "Cunifer" (Copper-Nickle-Iron alloy). Good stuff.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I used Nicopp line when I repaired mine as it was easier to double flare than steel line.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

My brakes, clutch and fuel lines are all NiCopp. Im running about 48psi of fuel pressure through it. That stuff is so easy to work with.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I had similar issues with my Jeep. Just would not lock up. Finally figured out that the rear brakes where not adjusted properly. They were so far out of adjustment that they would not self adjust, not to mention I had a frozen star wheel. I replaced both star wheels and snugged the adjustment up as tight as I could and still get the drum on. The shoes will wear fast till they seat to the drum so this helped in keeping the adjustment tight. I can easily lock the brakes up now. It was like night and day. If your adjusters are good you can try to get them to adjust out by backing up and jamming on the brakes hard a few times. You should feel the pedal move up each time you do this if they are out of adjustment. Just remember if the shoes are too far away from the drum they will not adjust out because they need the reverse braking action to actuate the adjusters. Lightly braking in reverse in normal use sometimes does not actuate the shoes enough to actuate the adjusters and with time you loose your braking ability. The brake fluid has to fill the rear brake slave cylinders to make up the distance of the shoe to the drum before it starts to push in the discs in the front which creates a squishy and/or long pedal travel feeling. Hope that makes sense.

Also, read up on the proportioning valve. It needs to be opened when bleeding and can cause issues too. Usually it will turn on the "brake" light in the dash if stuck open, but if your brake light is not attached it might not warn you.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Phils67 wrote:No copper in the US? Ive been running NiCopp lines for half a decade, live in the salt belt, and they still look and perform like new. Never had an issue with annual inspection here in NY either. You guys really never heard of copper line here? Its a nickle copper iron alloy and you can buy it at basically any local parts store
My guess is that its more popular in the states that salt their roads. Out west here I have never seen it. But it looks cool. The stuff I looked up made by AGS is good for 11,900psi, thats plenty for brakes.
2017 JKU Rubicon