Post by babywag »

your not OP or who my post was directed @
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Re: Power windows weak

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

babywag wrote:Posting this here...you mentioned in other thread that someone hacked up your door harness.
In pic you can see they all unplug and are easily removed, someone cutting wires is just a lazy hack or doesn't care to do it right.

I suggest removing it, repairing it, and go from there. Much easier to work on out of door, and not terribly difficult to repair.
Just need a soldering iron, some crimp connectors, and some shrink wrap.

those pictures are awesome! thank you so much for posting them. I am going to check on a price of a used master switch with harness first and if its not a lot of money I may just go that route.... if they are expensive though I'll definitely repair the harness.

as soon as I pulled out the switch I knew immediately that it didn't look factory :lol:
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Rinkle_Stinkle wrote:
babywag wrote:Posting this here...you mentioned in other thread that someone hacked up your door harness.
In pic you can see they all unplug and are easily removed, someone cutting wires is just a lazy hack or doesn't care to do it right.

I suggest removing it, repairing it, and go from there. Much easier to work on out of door, and not terribly difficult to repair.
Just need a soldering iron, some crimp connectors, and some shrink wrap.

those pictures are awesome! thank you so much for posting them. I am going to check on a price of a used master switch with harness first and if its not a lot of money I may just go that route.... if they are expensive though I'll definitely repair the harness.

as soon as I pulled out the switch I knew immediately that it didn't look factory :lol:

This image helped me as well. I had an extra wire loom cover that I couldn't figure out where it came from. Now I remember. :lol:
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

babywag

Post by babywag »

Most folks don't realize it is very easy to just pull the whole door harness, clean/repair/etc.
Working on it laying on a bench waaaaay easier than screwing around with it in the door.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

babywag wrote:Most folks don't realize it is very easy to just pull the whole door harness, clean/repair/etc.
Working on it laying on a bench waaaaay easier than screwing around with it in the door.

I mean I can't fault the PO I wouldn't of known that either however I would like to think I would be smart enough to check first though :D
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I have a used master switch from an 88 with complete harness and plugs on my ebay page for 50$

You interested ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

candymancan wrote:I have a used master switch from an 88 with complete harness and plugs on my ebay page for 50$

You interested ?

I actually scored one over the weekend for about the same price. thank you for the offer!
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

I actually just replaced my master switch with a used and intact one I got for $45. It helped tremendously! The locks almost pop out the door they are so strong now... however....

All my windows are responding now which is a major step in the right direction. My driver side window is working well and my passenger window now goes down about 60% of the way. I had previously replaced the flex track and window motor for that side (back when I had no clue what I was doing and just spent money I didn't need to, i'm getting smarter now). I lubed that track with silglide and white lightning grease and also lubed the new seal I put in as well, but still only went down about 60% of the way, so I got smart and pulled out my multi meter and tested the window motor connection and was only showing 11.41v so i'd imagine that's why. I have a power probe I've honestly never used before (gifted to me) but ran outta time due to this being my DD and it was sunday night. Next weekend i'm going to pull that panel again (good weather dependent) and put the power probe on it and make sure that is in fact my main issue. I figured i'll just connect directly to the battery and send the full 12v in and see what happens.

if I find what I think i'll find i'll know 100% the full issue is a voltage drop. then I get to start tracing the voltage back (which I've absolutely never done before) to find the point of the drop which I suspect is after my master switch since the DS window operates perfectly find, (correct me if i'm wrong).

with that said I could use some advice before i even attempt this. where are the main problem points? where can I find the wires under the dash? are they easily found? when I find the problematic area I would imagine fixing it would involve either cutting the wire and cleaning it, then using weather proof connector with heat shrink?

I haven't even pulled the rear door panels yet, I figured once I get the passenger window working I can move to the next and hopefully be and expert by the end of this run haha!

so please correct me if any of my though process is wrong and i'm sure there are easier ways to do this but I don't want to over complicate the wiring job and never be able to get it back together again especially since this is my DD.
Last edited by Rinkle_Stinkle on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I'd check the switch contacts first. Wish I'd seen this video before I did the relays on mine. Would have been simpler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21eudxY ... ex=4&t=12s
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

dodgerammit wrote:I'd check the switch contacts first. Wish I'd seen this video before I did the relays on mine. Would have been simpler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21eudxY ... ex=4&t=12s

that is a wealth of knowledge!!!! thank you so much!
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers