New shock installation question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Hendo2.5

New shock installation question

Post by Hendo2.5 »

I'm installing a new 6" lift from Rusty's and it's the first time I've done it. I've attached some pictures and am hoping someone can advise on a few things:
1) the top bushing doesn't come with a metal tube for the inside and wouldn't fit if it did. Is that normal?
2) the bushings stick out pretty far on either side of the case. Should that be so.
3) what is this tool or part that came with each shock?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1979bettywhite

Re: New shock installation question

Post by 1979bettywhite »

All good questions.

1.) Upper shock mount does not need the metal sleeve. Just make sure you have the outer washer on the nut side to ride against the bushing to keep the torque there uniform.

2.) Lower mount position needs the sleeve due to it being inside the mounting bracket and mounted using a bolt and nut. You need it as to not be able to really torque down on it accidentally and bend the mounting bracket. Same as you should use a sleeve when bolting anything through a boxed frame.

3.) Give that to your late model jeep buddies. It is not needed with our jeeps as our top mount is a stud. Newer jeeps, the top of the shock mounts with two bolts on either side of the eye. So this part slides through the eye and gives them the proper tabs on each side to mount the upper part of the shock.

4.) Let's see some pictures of the actual jeep this lift is going on!

I have a rusty's lift (4"), so interested to hear your thoughts once installed. I am sure you are using the drop pitman arm and longer brake lines, but have you considered longer driveshafts? Had to extend my front about 1 1/4" as it was at the end of its sleeve length. Also, depending upon your exhaust routing, that front d/s may come in contact with the crossover from the drivers side manifold, may have to have that re-done.

Good luck on the install!

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Re: New shock installation question

Post by Hendo2.5 »

Thanks very much! i will put some pic up soon.