intermittent wiper module

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

intermittent wiper module

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

OK sooooo.....

I was having wiper issues when I first bought the wag. Before I replaced my multifunction switch I was having issues with the delay intermittent not working correctly.

I replaced my multifunction switch in an attempt to fix those and my cruise control plus the old one looked horrible.

even though it was mentioned to pull the switch out and splice in the old wiring I wanted to completely replace everything just incase there was a wire short or wire integrity issue. I fished the old out with string attached, attached the new one and pulled it through the column.

I connected it and now my intermittent delay wiper setting works like a dream but I have no low and high seems very weak.... BUT I have cruise control again!!! yay!

I posted a video on facebook of the problem and someone mentioned I should bypass my intermittent mod which will eliminate my delay but hopefully will give me low and high settings. id rather not do that because if that isn't the problem I may end of with zero wiper until I connect everything back. I looked online for a replacement part and was able to find old used and tested for $40 including shipping. I am going to purchase that I think and try that.

BUT before I do that I wanted to get a second opinion. In the Haynes wiring diagram it is 100% certain that it all runs through the internment delay mod so I could see where this is a distinct possibility.... thoughts?
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

babywag

Re: intermittent wiper module

Post by babywag »

Just unplug the connectors on module and bypass by reconnecting directly.
Weird wiper function is 99% time a bad module.
XJ’s use same one cheap/easy find in JY.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

babywag wrote:Just unplug the connectors on module and bypass by reconnecting directly.
Weird wiper function is 99% time a bad module.
XJ’s use same one cheap/easy find in JY.
ok. sound simple. I know its under the dash somewhere. any guidance as to where?
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

brandtjohnd

Post by brandtjohnd »

Replying to an old post but it might prove useful....

The wiper delay module in my 89 Wag is at the base of the steering column right above the AC unit. Its attached to the back of the dash with velcro. In my case i only had wipers on HI only and they would not auto home to the down position when i turned them off. Once i had the module removed from the Wag, i opened it up and used aerosol electrical cleaner to clean up the board. It was crusty after 30 years of use. I used a toothbrush to gently clean the board as well. Plugged back in and i have all my wiper functions! Hope this helps someone!