Driver's Door Window Fix?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Hello everyone,

My driver's door window likes to fall off its track if the door is closed with any force. I took a look at the track itself and it appears that the door just sits on the track which would explain why it falls off from time-to-time. I have searched parts via the internet and I am not sure what I would need to get the window to not fall off (all I can tell is that the weather stripping where the glass comes out of the door is missing). May I ask how I can get the glass to stop falling?

Thank you all!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

I am sorry for the double thread. Mods, can the thread entitled "Driver's Door Fix?" be removed?

Thank you!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Driver's Door Window Fix?

Post by Stuka »

Done.

What condition are the window wipes in? (The rubber that would prevent water from going in the door) You can also get new felt for inside the rubbers so the window can move around in them. And, as I recall there are clips that go on the lifter to hold the glass in place.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

On mine it was like a brass torx screw with a nut on the back side ... not sure if it was stock though.... I'll post a pic later tonight or tomorrow if I can get to my spare windows and hardware.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Thanks all!

The window wipes are currently not present. Would either of these work:

https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/compl ... 1963-1991/

https://www.fsjjeepparts.com/kd2030-fro ... p-kit.html

As for the brass torx screw, a picture would be great. Thank you!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Those look similar to the ones that I bought from BJ's Offroad. I know before I put them on the window rattled like crazy, and now it doesnt. I can't say it will fully solve the problem, as it should be held in place on the lifter. But they certainly help prevent it from jumping around.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

May be I am off tracks... if the window is falling off the track, may be the track is so rusted that there is no side support or that the track is turning to rust powder, on the 78 the window channel is holding the glass, cannot find it in bj's or teamwag

Edit: if the track is in good shape, no need to remove the glass, you can
1) smear some silicone in the track 2) use the proper gasket in the track 3) remember that 78 is probably still using the thick glass, so if the glass was replaced at a latter time, it may have the thin glass which is more likely to be loose.

When I replaced my window channel (mid 90's) on the 74, I had the new channel for the thin glass, and not knowing the glass thickness issue, I used the silicone, there was no way to insert the rubber molding inside the metal channel

for ref from the 79 parts manual the front window channel is J 095 7853 for driver and J 095 7854 for passenger , not too sure why there are 2 refs, I think that flipping over is enough, because for the rear window channel there is only one ref J 575 1070-1
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

letank wrote:May be I am off tracks... if the window is falling off the track, may be the track is so rusted that there is no side support or that the track is turning to rust powder, on the 78 the window channel is holding the glass, cannot find it in bj's or teamwag

Edit: if the track is in good shape, no need to remove the glass, you can
1) smear some silicone in the track 2) use the proper gasket in the track 3) remember that 78 is probably still using the thick glass, so if the glass was replaced at a latter time, it may have the thin glass which is more likely to be loose.

When I replaced my window channel (mid 90's) on the 74, I had the new channel for the thin glass, and not knowing the glass thickness issue, I used the silicone, there was no way to insert the rubber molding inside the metal channel

for ref from the 79 parts manual the front window channel is J 095 7853 for driver and J 095 7854 for passenger , not too sure why there are 2 refs, I think that flipping over is enough, because for the rear window channel there is only one ref J 575 1070-1
Hello all,

Thanks for the help and tips! I definitely need to buy the window wipes and will hopefully do so soon.

As for the track itself, my Jeep broke down again and is once more at the mechanics. As soon as I get it back I will take a picture as I would very much appreciate the help as to what kind of window I have (I do think it has been replaced) and what the track might need.

:)