Repainting cost and suggestions

Stock FSJ Tech Area

tgreese

Re: Repainting cost and suggestions

Post by tgreese »

You can't grind the heads off of the pop rivets or screws, or they will no longer hold. If you attach a patch that way, it will always stand proud of the surface.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

tgreese wrote:You can't grind the heads off of the pop rivets or screws, or they will no longer hold. If you attach a patch that way, it will always stand proud of the surface.

that's kind of what I thought which means the best ultimate solution is to replace and weld the entire rocker panel. I'm actually going to a body shop today to get a quote on the windshield channel rust that's causing the leaking windshield. while they fix that I'm going to have them fully inspect the vehicle while its on a lift for rust that I may not know about and break down the estimate per fix and to give me a sense of urgency for each fix too.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Depends on what appearance is acceptable to you. A patched rocker panel (or floors) is better than not patched. even if it's not as attractive as you'd like.

You can weld or glue. There are modern panel adhesives that can be used to join body work, but the preparation of the joints is very different.

Rust repair is time consuming and requires a lot of investment in equipment and supplies. Don't be shocked at body shop estimates to repair rust ... if the estimate comes back absurdly high, they probably do not want the work.

If you want a primer on what's involved in repairing rusty cars right, read through the "shop projects" thread from MP&C on Garage Journal - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... p?t=182565 - Robert is an expert but the kind of time and effort he puts in to repairs is only justified for the most valuable of classics.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

Are you going to remove the vinyl wood grain panels? I'm debating on doing that to my '84 and wondering what people think. The 70s Wagoneers had solid colours with a wood grain stripe. I was leaning that way. What were you thinking?
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

tgreese wrote:Depends on what appearance is acceptable to you. A patched rocker panel (or floors) is better than not patched. even if it's not as attractive as you'd like.

You can weld or glue. There are modern panel adhesives that can be used to join body work, but the preparation of the joints is very different.

Rust repair is time consuming and requires a lot of investment in equipment and supplies. Don't be shocked at body shop estimates to repair rust ... if the estimate comes back absurdly high, they probably do not want the work.

If you want a primer on what's involved in repairing rusty cars right, read through the "shop projects" thread from MP&C on Garage Journal - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... p?t=182565 - Robert is an expert but the kind of time and effort he puts in to repairs is only justified for the most valuable of classics.

I'm thinking I may just get a body shop to do the rocker replacement the correct way as I have never touched a welder and would rather my first try not be on the exterior of one of my prized possessions lol

I was quoted a ridiculous price for a paint job.... now granted this is an upscale full on paint job but they quoted 10K to address all rust, remove woodgrains and trim and repaint.

I could cut a lot off by removing most of the trim myself but...

My plan I think is get the body shop to replace the rocker and pull the few dents I have. then I'm going to take it to Maaco and do a cheap "refresh" paint job for $600-700

then bring it home and jack it up, wire wheel the flaking rust on frame and then hit it up with a rustolium rust prevention spray paint.

this will address all the rust issues and by me probably 5-10 years so I can save up and do a full paint job.

as far as the wood grain,
I had planned to restore the wood grain with new vinyls. but I'm going to change the color of the vinyls and go a darker grain I think. I really haven't decided but I'm definitely keeping them.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Marco job will be $1,000 by the time they add on the extras, such as oversize vehicle fee, surface prep fee, external component removal fee, etc. And they won't mask very well around the woodgrain.

If you're going to spray the chassis, do that FIRST so you don't get overspray on a new paint job.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

Decent paint will cost at least $1000 for the base and clear, good paint lots more.

If you're getting a paint job for less than the cost of decent materials you better keep it out of the rain.

I suppose it depends on where you live but around here a cheap paint job on a nice rig starts at about 4K and goes to 40k.

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

thanx for the thoughts and suggestions!
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers