CJ Power Steering Shaft Too Short?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
1979bettywhite

CJ Power Steering Shaft Too Short?

Post by 1979bettywhite »

So I ordered this the other day after researching a number of older posts about converting over to a double u-joint shaft and getting rid of the rag joint in the stock FSJ shaft:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F ... UTF8&psc=1

I went to put in in last night and after pulling the stock shaft, I found out that this one is indeed too short to fit my application. I believe I am running the original steering box on my 1978 Cherokee, which I believe would be the J10 box. Also not running a body lift. The column side of the CJ shaft seemed to be the right size, but the steering box collar seemed to be a little too big, although I did not begin to torque it down. Once again, it was too short to reach on both ends.

Also, in removing the stock shaft, the clip that holds the rubber "boot" where the lower shaft telescopes into the upper shaft broke in half. I did not think this was too big of a deal, so I just replaced it with a zip tie. Snugged it down enough to where the boot would stay in place and the shaft could slide decently.

Hope this helps for those that may want to swap out their stock shaft. If I got the wrong shaft, please point me in the right direction as I would still like to swap my original shaft out since there is some decent play in the original upper u joint. From my research this is a common problem for all of us.

Also, for those removing the stock shaft, make sure you remove both bolts in the collars to be able to both remove and install the shaft back onto the splines.

Ok, I have mentioned shafts too many times in one post....

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: CJ Power Steering Shaft Too Short?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I used an XJ shaft for mine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

I used an XJ shaft for mine...

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

How short? Does the bottom shaft slide all the way out before it connects?

I have used the manual steering version of this shaft in two different FSJ's because it has the 3/4" ujoint that fit the newer style steering boxes I used. I'm not sure if that version is longer or not. I think I had to extend it a little on my 79 but not by much.
I am not 100% positive but if you have the stock 79 steering box it does not have the 3/4" input so you cant use the XJ bottom. They didn't change to the 3/4" input until the 80's. That doesn't necessarily mean that someone didn't swap one in somewhere along the way. You should be able to easily compare the spline counts and size between the old and new if you have it out.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I will pull it off and take a look again, but the lower collar seemed too big for the input shaft. Also, the CJ shafts don't telescope like the FSJ ones do, at least that is my experience from reading (and pulling)? I believe they have shear pins in them in the case of an accident? Therefore I don't think I can extend it without doing away with those pins?

tedlovesjeeps71

The pins are usually plastic. Drill em out or heat em with a small torch.

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

Neither of the omix-ada shafts I used were pinned. Just a really tight interference fit. The stock ones are though.
79 CJ7

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

How did you get it extended? Or did you need to?

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

Clamped it in a vice and used a bfh until the slip loosened up. I didn't have to extend it more than an inch or two but I am also not using the stock PS box.
79 CJ7

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Which part did you bang on? Seems like you might start to bend the u-joint ends if you hit on them too much.