can I reuse an bent shackle?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Hendo2.5

can I reuse an bent shackle?

Post by Hendo2.5 »

I was just going to straighten it out and re use it but wondered if there is some reason that the strength might be compromised after bending? Thanks

Kaiserman

Re: can I reuse an bent shackle?

Post by Kaiserman »

Once bent it will always be weaker at the point where it bent. I'd get a new one myself unless it was only a very minor bend.
1971 J2500 Gladiator Custom-Cab Platform Stake on 126" wb. B350/T18A/D20 D60/D60-3 w/locker 4.10's Ramsey 8klb PTO winch, Day-brook dump. 225/95R16's
1969 J3800 Gladiator 3407Z Camper Truck. B350/T18A/D20 D44/D60-3 w/4.10's
1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400 Mostly Stock
1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0L/AW4 4" lift OEM swing out tire carrier and brushguard

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Depends how much it bent by I suppose. Any photos?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

If its just one of those swivel shackles depending on year and so forth.. The shackles that were used were the same ones that XJs had and they are only 30$ online id just replace it if it was severly bent.

But if it was just bent a little id probably just use it and bend it back. But it might bend back to the other way because it could have been weekend depending how far bent it was begin with.

can you just take a pic and post it ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

Here is a picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

the right one id just bend back.. The left one the bend is pretty severe id replace that one.

Look for an XJ shackle they are 30$ online. pretty cheap same exact shackle. Tbh they are so cheap id just buy two.. But if youre short on cash thrn fix the right one replace that left one. The bend has creased the metal on the bottom it looks like

http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/mobile/jee ... 3oQAvD_BwE

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

for $30 I'll replace them both for sure. I'm going to be installing a new BJ's 6' lift so I don't want to cheap out on the part that holds it to the frame. Do you know if the XJ shackles are used for the front and the rear?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I will not knowingly install Omix Ada parts on any of our Jeeps.

If you are OK with it, cheaper price over here:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/9182 ... gKpZPD_BwE
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

the price is right. I would have thought they came without bushings. I don't know much about aftermarket stuff. what is wrong with that brand?

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Omix-ada is all cheap chinese junk. I'm not jabbing at chinese parts in general, but their stuff has a terrible reputation for being crap.

If you are going with 6" lift springs, you really want some extended shackles in the front to help the leaves flex to their full length. That should help with ride a bit, as well. No extended shackles in the rear, though. There are plenty of places around that offer extended shackles. I have no recommendations off hand, but shop around and you'll find plenty.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yeahbut longer fronts will mess with caster.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well i used two of their rear shackles when i replaced all my leaf springs.. its been a year now and no issues so far. I bought em because i needed them ina hurry and after spending 1300$ on my suspension i was broke lol

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

SJTD wrote:Yeahbut longer fronts will mess with caster.
Yes indeed. I played around with caster shims and found 11 degrees brought the caster angle positive where it was previously. Not doing so will make driving feel like a rodeo.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

I have a related question - i bought some new poly bushings for the shackles and they didnt come with the metal sleeve that goes between the shackle and the bushing. I see that its a nightmare to remove the metal sleeve. I've soaked in in PS fluid and tried to press it out with a socket. Do i just press the bushings into the old sleeve? Thanks

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

If it were me, I would use a metal sleeve through the bushings if possible. This follows the same mentality as compared to your other post about the sleeve for the shock bushings. As the shackles is mounted to the frame inside a bracket, the sleeve does a couple jobs. It protects from too much torque and also makes the fitment of the bolt accurate, while providing a buffer between the bolt and the rubber, letting the shackle and sleeve spin around the bolt. Without it you may have to move up a size in bolt for a snug fit. Although you can get away without using one on the shackles in that the torque value is relatively low for shackles as they need to move and flex. But you will probably be replacing bushings more often as they would take more abuse without the buffer of a metal sleeve. But on the fixed mount locations on our FSJ you should be using the sleeves. But they should have already been pressed into the spring bushings from Rusty's. And with using metal sleeves in bushings, always use some form of anti-seize on the bolt going through them. Makes life so much easier for either you or others later if you have to pull things back apart. I used a lot of bad words, saw blades and death wheels in the removal of all my seized bolts and sleeves.

I think you could get away with using the OMIX ADA shackles unless you want to do some hard core wheeling in the Jeep. If it were me, I might pick up an extra at that price and carry it with me :), just in case.

To get the sleeve out of the old shackle you can use all methods if you are not going to reuse them. You can cut the shackles to pieces and remove the bushing and the sleeve then you can cut away the bushing with a hacksaw or even a reciprocating saw if you are careful. Or you can try the smelly method of using a torch to burn the rubber bushing out. In either case, you should be able to re-use the sleeve. Use some white lithium grease on the sleeve and pound it into the new shackle bushing. I like to use a rubber mallet so I don't ruin the sleeve with metal on metal contact.

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

Thanks for the response. I think i wasnt clear in my post- The sleeve i am wondering about is the one that goes around the bushing not the one that goes through it. if the bushings didnt come with a new one does that mean they are meant to be installed without one? Thanks

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The poly bushings typically do not come with the outer steel shell, and are not installed with one. The outer shell is a feature of the design called "silent block" bushings. They consist of the inner and outer steel shell with rubber between. They are not separable - the rubber is bonded to the steel.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=si ... ORM=HDRSC2

The usual difficultly is getting the old steel shell out of the spring hanger. An air hammer with a chisel bit works well.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

I cut two lines in each one with a diamond saw and it popped out with a few taps from a cold chisel.