Muffler and Wheels

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Muffler and Wheels

Post by 1979bettywhite »

So as I continue to update things as I go along, these are two items that are close to being next on the list. First of all, I have tried to locate some OEM white wagon wheels and caps to go back to. While I have located some, all need to be refurbished. While I have no problems in doing that, for the price of the wheels, I can basically get a brand new set from US wheel that looks really close to the OEM wheels.

https://www.uswheel.com/collections/tru ... hite8spoke

Thought about getting them in 15x8 and run my 33s on them. My other plan is to try to get a set of two center caps and just drill these wheels at the correct location and use a self tapping screw to attach the caps to them. Anyone had experience with this or tried this?

Also, I don't know if I have the stock muffler or not, but it is huge. It's a large round muffler and runs a long way along the passenger side of the frame rail. Would like to get something that is a little smaller and can tuck up in between the frame rails a little better. I think the sound quality is fine with the current option and I would not want to go louder etc. It has a nice rumble but is very tame and just sounds "right". Anyone have a preference on muffler that I might be able to run and get things tucked up a littler better? The muffler is about the only thing that really hangs down below the frame rails now.

kansasboy001

Re: Muffler and Wheels

Post by kansasboy001 »

Mine is stock original muffler with AC stamped on the bottom and it is a flat cylinder that fits tightly above the frame. I've heard magnaflow is good if you get the correct one for the car as well as walker.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I have a flowmaster super 44 and magnaflow cat on mine.. They fit just fine in the frame and dont hang down below the frame. Flowmaster is also very small length wise youll need to get a pipe extention going from it to the tailpipe

My moms 4.0 grand cherokee i put a magnaflow muffler on its stainless steel and seems much higher quality then the flowmaster its also suppose to be quieter which is why i didnt put it on my wagoneer.

After 2 years the flowmaster already has some surface rust as all the cheap paint they put on it burned off. The stainless magnaflow is still shiny.

Both mufflers though are welded vs crimped together like cheap mufflers.. Cheap mufflers are crimped at all the seams and thats where they always fall apart and rust. You want one that welded.

Remember if you spend 50$ on a cheap muffler youll probably end up replacing it in a few years
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

babywag

Post by babywag »

The stock 70’s mufflers were indeed round & huge.
‘80-‘91 were much smaller and oval.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I love the old cats on them though.. Huuuuge cats... lol when mine started rattling i ordered the magnaflow one which was $75 free shipping. Its half the size of the old one in girth and shorter.. I was suprised, took my old one to a recycling place and they gave me $50 for it lol. So i pretty much paid $25 for a new cat and thats it lol.

Plan to do the same to my 5.9 ZJ, the cat on it is really big and the original muffler i have to keep patching two holes in it every 6 months. I've just been investing so much money and time restoring my GW that ive neglected my ZJ..

Anyway magnaflow is pretty quiet.. it did improve the sound of my moms 4.0 from the $40 muffler that rusted out that some shop put on.. but not in a bad way. So if i were you id get the magnaflow. You can buy them in autozone or advanced auto for $100. Nothing special its just 2.5 in and 2.5 out.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I ran a Flowmaster on my '93 Explorer for 15 years. They are built well with thick sheet metal and although it looked rusty after the paint burnt off it wasn't close to blowing out. Stainless is the best bet but I wouldn't worry about a Flowmaster rusting out.