Radio and Glove box replacement

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Curly

Radio and Glove box replacement

Post by Curly »

All, I destroyed my glove box trying to get it out to access the QT switch. So, while it is out I decided to bite the bullet and replace the radio with a modern one. I had resisted cutting the dash, but I'm not buying one of those retro sounds radios. I've had bad luck with them.
So:
Which aftermarket radio do you suggest for a 77 Cherokee? I want Am/FM/CD and probably an AUX input. I'm not into fancy radio, just want some tunes.

Which glovebox do you recommend for a replacement? Cardboard or Plastic?

Thx
Tim
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

letank

Re: Radio and Glove box replacement

Post by letank »

The cardboard is bendable but not water-resistant. the plastic is watertight but almost impossible to slide in without braking a nail! I have the plastic but after a few needed service calls, I decided to cut the plastic insert in half on both short sides (that is left and right sides) to be able to slide it in or out without too much trouble...

As for the radio if you do not want to cut off the fascia, is a tough call. I am still running the knob radio, but my second replacement is falling, so I will be using a more modern radio , my my fascia has been hacked by the PO. Also CDs are a think of the past, the cd will skip at some point, go for a memory stick or a phone aux input...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

az chip

Post by az chip »

I am looking at getting an older Alpine Radio to fit the dash and add a plug jack for my phone to play tunes. Fits in the dash no cutting.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

If you do cut the dash you can't go wrong with one of the newer Sony headunits. They're easy to use and install and seem to be made much better than pioneer ones today.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Man, I really wish I could find an uncut dash...I've looked and looked and they're hard to come by.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

I replaced my non-working radio with a Retro Sound unit off eBay. Very pleased with the sound quality and ease of the install. Has nice features and will play my iphone or a flash-drive!! As stated CD's are out now too. As far as glove box, still have my original cardboard one, but I had to drop A/C unit to reinstall it. Did NOT want to cut my dash and needed to have music, very pleased with the new set-up and TUNES again!!!
1979 J20, 360 w/NV4500/D300 Twin Stick/3.73 SOLD
1978 Cherokee Chief W/T Levi interior, 360 Q/T. SCRAPPED
1970 Gladiator J4800 Camper Special, Buick 350, 4spd. SOLD

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

You used to be able to find old ALPINE and CRAIG shaft-style radios at flea markets and garage sales. Not sure where they've all gone to but I need one too. Usually at a swap meet someone will have one or two but they can be pretty banged up. I found that even though there looks like lots of room in that dash, your radio can't be much different or it hits various parts in there. Ebay I guess.
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....