Wiper Motors - Intermittent vs Two-speed

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Cecil14

Wiper Motors - Intermittent vs Two-speed

Post by Cecil14 »

Is there a difference in the actual motors, or just the addition of the module and different switch?

Thanks,

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

tgreese

Re: Wiper Motors - Intermittent vs Two-speed

Post by tgreese »

I would look at the parts book at oljeep.com and see if the two motors are different.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Only one part number, so everything must be controlled via the module and switch. Awesome.

Thanks Tim,

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

Cecil14 wrote:Only one part number, so everything must be controlled via the module and switch. Awesome.

Thanks Tim,

aa

so to tag along with this thread,

My wiper motor works however the intermittent seems to not be working right. if you turn on intermittent you have to roll the nob to just before low and it'll work at just before low speed, however if you click it to low and then roll it back to intermittent you can adjuster the speed "some" ( I still don't think it even works 100% then)

Do you guys think its the motor or the multi function switch? I've read something about a parking fuse for the wiper going out too which could cause something similar.

I'm not very good at testing electrical yet so was hoping someone maybe had a similar problem.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

Topic author
Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

The switch in my (two speed) truck got pretty worn out after 30 years. The contacts get corroded over time. I believe I pulled my switch apart and cleaned it up, but it was a pretty big pain. At the time (maybe 8-10 years ago?), the switch was available pretty inexpensively. I do not know if that is the case for the intermittent switch, or at all anymore.

aa

Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

Cecil14 wrote:The switch in my (two speed) truck got pretty worn out after 30 years. The contacts get corroded over time. I believe I pulled my switch apart and cleaned it up, but it was a pretty big pain. At the time (maybe 8-10 years ago?), the switch was available pretty inexpensively. I do not know if that is the case for the intermittent switch, or at all anymore.

aa

they run about $75 now but I'm concerned with how complicated it will be to install a new multi function switch. I know steering columns can be a real PITA sometimes.

I saw a video that states you can pull out the switch, locate the wire under the dash and connect a spare wire to that wire, pull up through the column to attach the new switch wire and pull back through the column. does this sound accurate?
Last edited by Rinkle_Stinkle on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

Topic author
Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Oooohhhh, you've got the column based switch, don't you? I've never messed with those, can't speak to how bad those are to swap out.

aa

Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

Cecil14 wrote:Oooohhhh, you've got the column based switch, don't you? I've never messed with those, can't speak to how bad those are to swap out.

aa

seems pretty easy actually now that I've seen someone do it.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Tbh i dunno.

Mine come on when i click it once. Then if i try to turn the knob midway the speed is still the same.. Once i turn it up 3.4 the it gets faster but can be too fast for certain speeds of rain.. Then when i get to the end of the intermitent itll go even faster.. then click once and be on super fast.

I dont really like that i wish if i put it at 25 or 50% it will run at 25 or 50% instead it still runs on slow. I have a new switch on mine too so maybe thats just how it works lol ? Its frustrating because i seem to play with my wipers at 75% and slow because i have no in between that works on the intermitent

I like my ZJs wipers alot better

As for the wires... I just pulled my switch out like youre suppose too.. Then i pulled as much wire out as i could and then cut the wire right at the switch itself.. I had like 3 inches of wire to work with and just soldered the wiring on the new switch to those wires and tucked them back in the column. Was alot easier then taking the column apart
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

candymancan wrote:Tbh i dunno.

Mine come on when i click it once. Then if i try to turn the knob midway the speed is still the same.. Once i turn it up 3.4 the it gets faster but can be too fast for certain speeds of rain.. Then when i get to the end of the intermitent itll go even faster.. then click once and be on super fast.

I dont really like that i wish if i put it at 25 or 50% it will run at 25 or 50% instead it still runs on slow. I have a new switch on mine too so maybe thats just how it works lol ? Its frustrating because i seem to play with my wipers at 75% and slow because i have no in between that works on the intermitent

I like my ZJs wipers alot better

As for the wires... I just pulled my switch out like youre suppose too.. Then i pulled as much wire out as i could and then cut the wire right at the switch itself.. I had like 3 inches of wire to work with and just soldered the wiring on the new switch to those wires and tucked them back in the column. Was alot easier then taking the column apart
smart, so you are leaving the original wire in place and just pulling it out far enough to splice in the new switch?
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea thats it.. Pull the switch out as you know it just pops out.. Pull the wires out as much as you can without ripping em out of course.. Then cut them right at the end of the old switch so you have plenty of wire to work with and cut the plug on on youre new switch off and solder the wires together. and shove em back into the column. Easy peazy.

They are very thin wires so just go easy on em lol. I did this to mine because the plastic chrome on my old one was pealing and pealed off making it look ugly

https://imgur.com/a/OfgpT

Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

candymancan wrote:Yea thats it.. Pull the switch out as you know it just pops out.. Pull the wires out as much as you can without ripping em out of course.. Then cut them right at the end of the old switch so you have plenty of wire to work with and cut the plug on on youre new switch off and solder the wires together. and shove em back into the column. Easy peazy.

They are very thin wires so just go easy on em lol. I did this to mine because the plastic chrome on my old one was pealing and pealed off making it look ugly

https://imgur.com/a/OfgpT
ordered the switch today. they had a chrome wrapped one that matched mine on team grand wagoneer for $70. Looking forward to switching it out as mine is also starting to look rough AND I suspect its what is causing my wiper issue. If not though then at least I have a new one and can start from there.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea i just opted for the black, its cheaper by a lot and there is enough chrome on this jeep lols

Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

candymancan wrote:Yea i just opted for the black, its cheaper by a lot and there is enough chrome on this jeep lols

Am I soldering these wires together and heat wrapping them? Like how much space will o be working with for the wire connection?
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I use Rainex. :D

Only time I use the wipers is drizzle or fog. But that's when you really want the intermittent funcfuncfunction.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea solder em on.. Look at my pics.. I had like 3 inches of wire from the old plug. Plus you got another 6 or so from your new one.. So you have more then enough wire.. in fact you have to cut half off the new one to keep it shorter... Soldering and heat shrink isnt hard just expose the wires long twist em together solder.. heatshrink and thats it

Topic author
Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

If you solder them together, be sure to stagger the joints just a little bit. If you don't you'll end up with a large mass in the middle. Also...remember to put the shrink tube on BEFORE you solder. :)

aa

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea i cant explain in texts how i solder.. but basically i twist the wires so they are twisted but straight.. not twisted so it creates a point sticking up I dont twist them like you wouod a cieling fan with those little plastic knobs you use to twist wires together.. I basically expose the wires long and twist em like a bow tie. A little bit of flux helps too. And the solder should flow accross the entire wire creating no clumps.

LOL on the heatshrink before.. ive done that a few times... uhg lol. You can use thr soldering iron to shrink the tubing too. Just move the iron over the length of the tubing quickly back and forth switching positions to heat the whole tube and itll shrink it just fine

Topic author
Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

I used to make unions just like you're describing. It works well, for the most part. I have started becoming a bigger fan of bare crimp unions, though. You can still solder them, if you want to (and I sometimes still do), but they require less insulation to be removed, and tend to make more compact joints in my experience. It's also a little bit easier (at least for me) to predict exactly where the joint(s) will be using the unions vs the twist method.

For shrink tube, I keep a cheap bic lighter in my electrical box. Works awesome for shrinking tube.

aa