Shard in differential

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Shard in differential

Post by Hendo2.5 »

I found a 1/2 inch shard stuck to the magnet in my rear diff. I have no experience with them beyond pulling axels out but enjoy working on stuff. Should I be pulling it apart myself to find the busted gear or taking it to a shop? I'd prefer to do it my self unless that's crazy.
Last edited by Hendo2.5 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fulsizjeep

Re: Shard in differential

Post by fulsizjeep »

If the rear end is not making any noise, I am not sure I would be in a hurry to inspect it. On the other hand, it should be checked out by someone. If you have to replace the pinion and ring gear and/or the carrier, you probably want someone experienced with that kind of work. I have set up 2 axle ring and pinions with the help of a friend who had done a few. Certainly not something I have done again in the 15 years since.

Do you have a picture of the shard to share?
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

Tried to get good angles. 1/2 spanner for size reference
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Do you have the limited slip diff. That look like a piece of limited slip locker.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hard to say what it is, except that it does not look like a tooth.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

That does look like a chunk of tooth. Check your pinion bearings. Usually when you see teeth break like that, it's the pinion deflecting enough that the carrier knocks those chunks off the tip of the pinion

The good news is that I've run gear sets that had chunks like that knocked off for years without issue. Unless you're regearing for a different ratio, I wouldn't let a little bit like that scare me into buying a new set.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Elkman06

Post by Elkman06 »

What Redone said. Agree
Elkman06

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

jsinajeep wrote:Do you have the limited slip diff. That look like a piece of limited slip locker.
Here are some interior pics of the diff. Granted I'm new to this but I can't find anything that looks like this when I google Dana 44. its the springs that are throwing me off. the 2nd pic looks like something took a bite out of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Hendo2.5 wrote:
jsinajeep wrote:Do you have the limited slip diff. That look like a piece of limited slip locker.
Here are some interior pics of the diff. Granted I'm new to this but I can't find anything that looks like this when I google Dana 44. its the springs that are throwing me off. the 2nd pic looks like something took a bite out of it.
If that the inside of your diff the you have a limited slip diff. And if that the only piece you find I would agree with Redone.

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

thats good news, thanks!

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

That's the kind of thing that you are glad did not get lodged between the pinion and ring gears, because when that happens it locks up the axle at best, grenades the entire insides on average, and completely splits the case apart at worst.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The machined lines on the outside tell me it was likely a part of a previous failure and wasn't cleaned out during the repair. That piece appears to be cast iron so it's definitely not part of the gear set. Reminds me of the cast spacer between the axle tube and carrier bearing...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I wish I still had my Photobucket so I could show you, but I am 99.9% sure that is the tip of a pinion gear tooth.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

68glad

Post by 68glad »

REDONE wrote:I wish I still had my Photobucket so I could show you, but I am 99.9% sure that is the tip of a pinion gear tooth.
x2. run it.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

Tatsadasayago wrote:The machined lines on the outside tell me it was likely a part of a previous failure and wasn't cleaned out during the repair. That piece appears to be cast iron so it's definitely not part of the gear set. Reminds me of the cast spacer between the axle tube and carrier bearing...
it surprises me that the previous owner didn't clean it out during the repair. I would think that replacing the pinion would warrant a full clean out.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hendo2.5 wrote:
Tatsadasayago wrote:The machined lines on the outside tell me it was likely a part of a previous failure and wasn't cleaned out during the repair. That piece appears to be cast iron so it's definitely not part of the gear set. Reminds me of the cast spacer between the axle tube and carrier bearing...
it surprises me that the previous owner didn't clean it out during the repair. I would think that replacing the pinion would warrant a full clean out.
I doubt it was replaced. You have to replace the ring and pinion together. If it is part of the pinion, the pinion still has it missing. Need to pull the carrier to see.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

I was avoiding that since I don't have any experience installing them & setting backlash etc. Would it all go back together properly as long as I mark which side is which and keep the shims organized? alternatively, is a tooth out of the pinion something that would cause issues going forward?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

You don't have to reset anything to take it out and put in back in. You just have to torque the carrier cap bolts properly. Pull axles shafts, remove four bolts, clean and inspect, and then bolt it back together.

A broken tooth will cause issues long term. Short term it may still move fine.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

You should be able to get a flashlight on the pinion gear and rotate it without removing anything other than the cover. Often a mechanic's mirror is helpful.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation