heat only blows on low and medium setting

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

heat only blows on low and medium setting

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

I'm just full of questions haha....

sorry guys.

So my heater blower is only working at low and medium setting. it also has a noise that happens when turned on like a rattle or tick which I imagine is the fan itself or debris in the housing.

My question is do you think its the blower motor or the rotary dial for the speed?
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

redinwolfe

Re: heat only blows on low and medium setting

Post by redinwolfe »

Possibly the resistor mounted on the heater core box (motor side)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redinwolfe

Post by redinwolfe »

Possibly the resistor mounted on the heater core box (motor side)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Its the resister. Depending on the years. My resister for the controles was on the drivers side on the firewall. Un plug it clean it up. That or its just loose.

Mine wasnt plugged in all the way when my arm bumped it and my heater blower would only go on low or high and nothing in between.

Fill out your signature with what Jeep you have.. They were made for 30 years so itd help for us to know which jeep you have
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

candymancan wrote:Its the resister. Depending on the years. My resister for the controles was on the drivers side on the firewall. Un plug it clean it up. That or its just loose.

Mine wasnt plugged in all the way when my arm bumped it and my heater blower would only go on low or high and nothing in between.

Fill out your signature with what Jeep you have.. They were made for 30 years so itd help for us to know which jeep you have

Awesome! i'll get on that this weekend as well. I fixed the signature too, but just in case 1988
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Then yea its on the firewall directly above the main wire harness next to the brake booster

letank

Post by letank »

Rinkle_Stinkle wrote:
it also has a noise that happens when turned on like a rattle or tick which I imagine is the fan itself or debris in the housing.
sometimes the squirrel cage slides along the axis -debris- and the cage hits the housing, you can slide the cage on the axis, can't remember if there is a securing clip or not, but look/study the lay out ...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

HikoJeep

Post by HikoJeep »

I had the same issues. Ended up being bad switch and old blower motor. Installed new blower motor and got switch from Redone and problem is fixed. Only bad thing is if it the switch you have to pull the gauge cluster out.
BTW mine is a '79 so it could be different than '88.

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

well, call me lazy but in the Virginia snow and sleet on Saturday I opened the hood and found the resister and lets say that was a stubborn plug to unplug. So after 20 minutes fussing with it I accepted that for now i'll just deal with the cold a little longer than if I had a high speed fan haha.

BUT... I was reading through my Haynes manual and it looks like its pretty easy to take the motor off and clean it and adjust it if that's what's causing the noise.

SO hears the question. How do I find out if its the switch or the plug? I have a Greenlee multi-meter but I don't know how to use it.... yes really and yes I've watched a video on it and I'm still at a lost. I'm not great with electricity yet and not really friends with anyone in the area that can help. (all my friends are useless when it comes to mechanics and any kind of well... work)

so any help on that would be much appreciated.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Hmm my resister was so lose it basically fell off.. You sure youre tugging on the right wire harness.. and not the main harness going to the fuse box lol ?

The motor is easy to remove just like 4 or 5 screws and a plug in the engine bay passenger side.. Its right by the heatercore box.

carefull on the plug tjough.. when i tried to unplug mine it hattered in a million peices the plastic was so dried out.

I live in northern va as well. where are you located in virginia. Im in woodbridge? If youre close by we could meetup and swap switchs.motors to see which is bad because mine works fine.. My heat is so hot i have to keep it on low... and sometimes turn it down to the middle it gets overbearing.. never had a vehicle blow heat so hot before lol

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

candymancan wrote:Hmm my resister was so lose it basically fell off.. You sure youre tugging on the right wire harness.. and not the main harness going to the fuse box lol ?

The motor is easy to remove just like 4 or 5 screws and a plug in the engine bay passenger side.. Its right by the heatercore box.

carefull on the plug tjough.. when i tried to unplug mine it hattered in a million peices the plastic was so dried out.

I live in northern va as well. where are you located in virginia. Im in woodbridge? If youre close by we could meetup and swap switchs.motors to see which is bad because mine works fine.. My heat is so hot i have to keep it on low... and sometimes turn it down to the middle it gets overbearing.. never had a vehicle blow heat so hot before lol
I'm pretty confident I was tugging on the right plug. its in the right spot and looks exactly like what the Haynes manual shows.

I'm in Richmond so I'm really not far away! its good to know I have someone near me incase I need help and vice versa! :-bd :-bd

Since I'm probably going to be doing a lot of engine work in the very near future I think I'm just going to wait until I start that work and try and pull the plug then, pull the blower motor and adjust that or replace if that's what's wrong.

Do you take your jeep to any shows that are local?
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Richnond isnt that close its a few hours away lol. No i dont take ny Jeep to any shows. I dont really know of anything like that around here. For such a populous area there isnt really much to do except night life and museums in northern va.. 25 years here and i hate it.

My Jeep is nice Looking if i wax it. But sadly in like 5 or 6 spots the paint is bubbling and i plan to fix it next year since all the real major work is mostly done. The only thing good about my Jeeps paint is someone repainted it with an enamle single stage type of paint and since its black.. I can just use a black rattle can enamle paint and it matchs pretty well lol.. So when i do body work it wont look bad unlike any other color.. I never liked black paint on a car but it looks pretty good on a wagoneer lol.

The tinted windows are at 10% so pretty dark. It kinda took the (classic) look from the vehicle in a way but with it being dark and ceramic id rather habe more privacy and it be cooler inside.. I didnt like how exposed to peoples eyes and the sun is on these vehicles

https://imgur.com/a/gkykN

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

candymancan wrote:Richnond isnt that close its a few hours away lol. No i dont take ny Jeep to any shows. I dont really know of anything like that around here. For such a populous area there isnt really much to do except night life and museums in northern va.. 25 years here and i hate it.

My Jeep is nice Looking if i wax it. But sadly in like 5 or 6 spots the paint is bubbling and i plan to fix it next year since all the real major work is mostly done. The only thing good about my Jeeps paint is someone repainted it with an enamle single stage type of paint and since its black.. I can just use a black rattle can enamle paint and it matchs pretty well lol.. So when i do body work it wont look bad unlike any other color.. I never liked black paint on a car but it looks pretty good on a wagoneer lol.

The tinted windows are at 10% so pretty dark. It kinda took the (classic) look from the vehicle in a way but with it being dark and ceramic id rather habe more privacy and it be cooler inside.. I didnt like how exposed to peoples eyes and the sun is on these vehicles

https://imgur.com/a/gkykN

Wow that jeep is really nice looking. I will be taking more pics of mine this weekend. I also have the black pain. mine is pretty good besides some flaking on the very top middle of the hood.

Once I get some pics i'll share them.

Yeah I'm not sure if I want to do shows or not, just thought id ask. I do however think I'm going to start a Wagoneer's of VA Facebook page just to get local people on a page that is similar to this where they can get shop recommendations, possible meet ups, advice and or help from local enthusiasts.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers