1974 J-10 ignition switch removal / replacement

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tigger4x

1974 J-10 ignition switch removal / replacement

Post by tigger4x »

Long story short the key has been broken in the ignition of my '74 J-10, non-tilt. Being an OTR driver family would move it for me to avoid city code enforcement issues re: street parking. I came home to a broken cylinder switch so now I have to replace it. I used the Search, but wasn't finding much and what I did find hadn't panned out. A number of the search results had pics once upon a time, but Photobucket has turned into Photo :x :!: and you cant see them any more.

I googled some and came across a YouTube video, link below. I had read in one of the aforementioned search results that on many untouched columns there was some casting flash over the holes mentioned in the video so I knocked them open. I tried wiggling a narrow straight blade as was mentioned in the video, but the ignition switch won't budge. I haven't been able to locate the locking rod mentioned though.

Does anybody have any pics that can shed some light on this? TIA :-bd

YouTube link for reference ... [youtube]https://youtu.be/TkDnnkjif8c"]https://youtu.be/TkDnnkjif8c[/youtube]

letank

Re: 1974 J-10 ignition switch removal / replacement

Post by letank »

tigger4x wrote:Long story short the key has been broken in the ignition of my '74 J-10, non-tilt. Being an OTR driver family would move it for me to avoid city code enforcement issues re: street parking. I came home to a broken cylinder switch so now I have to replace it. I used the Search, but wasn't finding much and what I did find hadn't panned out. A number of the search results had pics once upon a time, but Photobucket has turned into Photo :x :!: and you cant see them any more.

I googled some and came across a YouTube video, link below. I had read in one of the aforementioned search results that on many untouched columns there was some casting flash over the holes mentioned in the video so I knocked them open. I tried wiggling a narrow straight blade as was mentioned in the video, but the ignition switch won't budge. I haven't been able to locate the locking rod mentioned though.

Does anybody have any pics that can shed some light on this? TIA :-bd

YouTube link for reference ... [youtube]https://youtu.be/TkDnnkjif8c"]https://youtu.be/TkDnnkjif8c[/youtube]
it happened to me, I called AAA , the locksmith knew about the casting flaw, hammered it off, and he popped the ignition lock the usual way. No pictures, it was before cell phone... and before digital cameras
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Last time I had to tear one apart was almost 20 years ago and I found a 78 Chilton manual in the GM section to be helpful.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

letank wrote: it happened to me, I called AAA , the locksmith knew about the casting flaw, hammered it off, and he popped the ignition lock the usual way. No pictures, it was before cell phone... and before digital cameras
I got the casting flash off no problem. I'm having trouble figuring out how the "usual way" is supposed to work.

letank

Post by letank »

tigger4x wrote:
letank wrote: it happened to me, I called AAA , the locksmith knew about the casting flaw, hammered it off, and he popped the ignition lock the usual way. No pictures, it was before cell phone... and before digital cameras
I got the casting flash off no problem. I'm having trouble figuring out how the "usual way" is supposed to work.
IIRC you need to push inside the rectangular hole to free the ignition barrel from the steering column housing... need to look at the TSM for clear pict or schematic

this is a 73 manual, but same for 74

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manu ... ge320.html

Michel

Topic author
tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

Thanks for the extra info :thumbsup:

I looked at the '74 TSM on oljeep.com and it didn't have the pics. It gives vague directions like "disconnect switch from connecting rod" but nothing about how to do it or pics as to where it's located. I've heard nightmare stories of stuff falling down into the column and needing to be completely torn down so I'm pretty leary of screwing up.

I have to admit I'm not understanding the what and where on the paper clip maneuver for the buzzer switch and clip the manual is referring to. Embarrassing to say I need a paint by numbers or an extensive picture book kind of manual.

I'm still hunting for more as I keep trying to stumble through this. Again, I appreciate your help!!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I recall the '82 manual has a very detailed section on the steering column. They are all a standard GM locking column. There's most of an '82 manual at oljeep.com - I suggest you look there and see if it helps.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

This is where I had to make a hole, to replace mine a few months ago.

Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

tgreese wrote:I recall the '82 manual has a very detailed section on the steering column. They are all a standard GM locking column. There's most of an '82 manual at oljeep.com - I suggest you look there and see if it helps.
Supposedly these are basically identical to the GM columns, but from '73 - '78. I'll eyeball the '82 though for comparison. Thanks

Topic author
tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

KJ Ryu wrote:This is where I had to make a hole, to replace mine a few months ago.

Yup, that's the place that was mentioned where the casting flash was. Knocked it out and other rectangular spot to the left of it.

The PITA I'm dealing with now . . .

Looking diagonally down to the right there is that square hole. There is a long rectangular plastic piece that has two electrical contacts facing the steering wheel. There is a thin slightly curved metal piece that was holding it in place. While I was holding it to get the long plastic piece out it sprung back into the column. Do you know what it's attached to? Or how to get the section of the column off that holds that the cylinder is in? I'm guessing I have to pull the entire column out to fish that piece out.

letank

Post by letank »

tigger4x wrote:
KJ Ryu wrote:This is where I had to make a hole, to replace mine a few months ago.

Yup, that's the place that was mentioned where the casting flash was. Knocked it out and other rectangular spot to the left of it.

The PITA I'm dealing with now . . .

Looking diagonally down to the right there is that square hole. There is a long rectangular plastic piece that has two electrical contacts facing the steering wheel. There is a thin slightly curved metal piece that was holding it in place. While I was holding it to get the long plastic piece out it sprung back into the column. Do you know what it's attached to? Or how to get the section of the column off that holds that the cylinder is in? I'm guessing I have to pull the entire column out to fish that piece out.

check this site for better picts

http://wagoneers.com/tech/Tilt-Column-Repair/ALL.html
Michel

Topic author
tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

Its most likely my phone, but the pics aren't revealing anything more than I have seen so far.

The part I'm struggling with can be seen in the pic KJ Ryu posted. Looking at the yellow line he put in the picture to denote the casting flash ... there is a dark square at about the 5 o'clock position. This is where the "key warning buzzer" contacts would be seen sticking out. They are in a plastic rectangular tube that was held in place by a thin slightly curved piece of metal. In trying to find where it went I'm struggling to get the first section of the column off. Its the section that the ignition cylinder is in. I can't seem to get enough of the wiring harness up through the column to get the directional signal switch to be free of the steering shaft. Once it's out of the way I'm hoping the first section of the column will come off. I need to find where that thin slightly curved metal piece went so it's accessible for reassembly and the steering buzzer will work.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Never been that deep into a steering column. Wish I could help more. Have you tried unbolting it from the bottom of the dash? Might give you a little more wire?
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

I will try to answer the question.
I recently had mine apart to replace the ignition switch too.
When I had it to this point (see picture) I could have knocked out the flashing (mine is still solid) and been done with it. Unfortunately, despite reading some threads and looking at the manual, I still didn't believe what I was looking at. I kept thinking it was the indent to the left of the yellow line in the above photo. Soooo, I ended up dismantling the entire steering column shroud assembly before realizing the hole I needed to enlarge was completely covered with flash and 'down inside' so it looked like a solid part.

you do not have to take the column out but you do have to remove all the shrouding.
remove the screws you can see in the photo.

Under the dash towards the firewall are 4 bolts that hold the column up. I removed those
Remove the plastic strip that holds the shrouding to the dash.
the column will now drop down and inch or so which makes it easier to work on.
disconnect the ignition switch wires that run through the should and connect to the ignition switchm
move the rod that inserts into the ignition switch out of the way (remove it from the hole)
the shroud should pull up and off.

you can now fish out that part. I wish I could remember seeing a metal strip that held that in place. I'm not sure how yours fell through as I don't remember mine ever trying to fall down into that hole.

I'm sure it was there, I just don't remember it.

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

ign_switch_resized.jpg
hmmm photo didn't attach first time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

It was looking more and more like I'd have to unbolt the column and now I will probably do it just to see where it gets me.

I looked at the pic. The two metal contacts are for the key buzzer. That is the long rectangular plastic tube I already pulled out. The thin slightly curved metal strip that seems to hold it in is what sprung back into the column.

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

ah, i understand now. I got lucky and didn't have a problem with that part.

I did have a problem with the one at the 12 O'clock position. i pushed that out of position and had to mess around with getting that back in place with the metal spring oriented correctly.

if you are at this point, there really isn't much left to do to remove the assembly.

Topic author
tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

I think dropping the column will allow me to get more slack on the wiring harness so I can get the turn signal unit off the column and out of the way to allow the first section off. I had already removed the four bolts holding it on thinking they had something to do with holding the cylinder in. Time to go have at it and see what happens.