Oil in exhaust...?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Oil in exhaust...?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

So today I dragged my Scrambler down to the shop. Poor guy hasn't been run or driven in a year or so. The motor is a bone stock 83 waggy 360. After a while on the battery charger and a little cranking it fired up. I noticed while it was idling on the trailer that it was dripping oil pretty good. Passenger side, all over the starter. Looks like it's actually coming out of the manifold where it joins the Y pipe. Stuck valve? Blown seal?? Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

440sixpack

Re: Oil in exhaust...?

Post by 440sixpack »

If you're putting that much oil through it should be smoking like a Mexican diesel when it warms up. if it's not then you ptobably have a leak on the valve cover or something.

Bad valve seals with worn guides will cause a lot of oil on start up, but you should see smoke.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Unlikely it is coming out of the exhaust. You would hear a massive exhaust leak, and as mentioned above, it would be smoking SUPER bad. My guess its dripping onto the exhaust from some place higher.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

It certainly was smoking pretty good. I didn't spend a lot of time diagnosing or exploring but I will. Hopefully it's just a VC gasket or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az chip

Post by az chip »

I had three or four running leaks on my VC's before I resealed them with gaskets and Hylomar. No leaky since.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.