Y pipe struggle

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jfliege

Y pipe struggle

Post by jfliege »

It has been a while since I have posted about my build, but It has come a long way.

I currently have been going back and forth about the exhaust after replacing the engine.
I deleted the thermal tubing during the engine replacement. the new engine had a mallory hei and egr delete already.
the thermal tubing delete didn't go well and even though I drilled threaded and capped the holes I had a leak.
I got new exhaust manifolds and installed them but now I can't get the y pipe to match up. I assume there was some warping over the 30 years the ypipe has been there.

The big questions are; should I get a new y-pipe for $70 at parts geek or take it to the exhaust shop to have them put it up on the lift and heat and stretch the pipe?

Doing the bending while heating and laying under the waggy is something don't think will work out.

but then if I do the ypipe should I just rid myself of the cat too since I will be altering the exhaust?

Questions? comments? feedback?
87' grand wagoneer with a rusty's 4"
2015 jk unlimited

I love me some Jeeps

1979bettywhite

Re: Y pipe struggle

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Why not just have the exhaust shop build you a new y pipe? A good shop could fabricate you a nice one and you would really never have to worry about it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
jfliege

Post by jfliege »

Mostly just budget is why I haven't been considering that.

Moneys been tight since the move.
Also, I am new to the Dallas area and have no idea of a good shop here. I have actually had 2 shops say they won't even work on it because its to old, when I was looking to have someone convert or fix the heat and AC. They don't want the liability headache. I got referred to a customs shop but they are pricey.
2015 jk unlimited

I love me some Jeeps

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

I've never heard of a Y pipe stretching. They're pretty robust. That's why you'll have a hard time bending it without a mandrel bender.

Do your new exhaust manifolds look like your old ones? There were a couple different types over the years.

But $70 doesn't sound bad for a new one, honestly.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

will e

Post by will e »

I would pay a shop to do it rather than buy a new one online that might not work.
Exhaust shops are not like other shops. They will work on our junk. It probably will run the same as buying the new part AND they do the work.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Does the new passenger side manifold have the heat riser on it? If not, the y-pipe won't fit properly.

Edit: may be driver side on an 87. I'm not real sure.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Id pay an exhaust shop when it comes to the Y pipe and the headers/manifolds. I've taken a few y pipes off on these wagoneers and every time the freaking bolts snapped off inside the headers.. So to me it isnt worth the trouble. and usually i NEVER say that but for things like this id rather pay the money.

Its still passenger side all the way through 91 KJ ryu
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
jfliege

Post by jfliege »

KJ Ryu wrote:Does the new passenger side manifold have the heat riser on it? If not, the y-pipe won't fit properly.

Edit: may be driver side on an 87. I'm not real sure.
I must not be remembering this right. I did remove the thermal pipes but I did keep the valve block that forced the exhaust back up the manifold. I just have flap locked open. I can get the bolts to thread. I just can't get the y-pipe to spread the half inch and seat right. The exhaust was connected fine a

I typed all that and realized the heat riser is the valve block I was talking about. yes the heat riser(that is a much better name for it than exhaust valve block thing) is still there.
2015 jk unlimited

I love me some Jeeps

az chip

Post by az chip »

What is a "thermal pipe"? Do you mean air pump system? Where did you get the new exhaust manifold from? Did you check the numbers on the side to see if they are correct?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

az chip wrote:What is a "thermal pipe"? Do you mean air pump system? Where did you get the new exhaust manifold from? Did you check the numbers on the side to see if they are correct?
Its a ~2" flex tube that goes from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the air cleaner housing. Its to feed the engine warm air when the engine it cold, then it closes off once the engine is warm.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

az chip

Post by az chip »

Stuka wrote:
az chip wrote:What is a "thermal pipe"? Do you mean air pump system? Where did you get the new exhaust manifold from? Did you check the numbers on the side to see if they are correct?
Its a ~2" flex tube that goes from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the air cleaner housing. Its to feed the engine warm air when the engine it cold, then it closes off once the engine is warm.
Oh. I call it a heat riser. Nomenclature is a thing. LOL
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
jfliege

Post by jfliege »

The manifolds are the right ones I matched them to the ones being removed before I installed them. I really just think the thirty years of heat warped them so the ypipe is just a little to narrow. I can start the threads in the bolts but they dont want to sit flush. If I had a lift and could get under it with a torch I am sure I could get them to fit.

Sorry chip I am in IT and they look just like the thermal tubing they use on heat sinks and what not to move heat around in a computer. Your term is probably more accurate than mine.
2015 jk unlimited

I love me some Jeeps

az chip

Post by az chip »

jfliege wrote:The manifolds are the right ones I matched them to the ones being removed before I installed them. I really just think the thirty years of heat warped them so the ypipe is just a little to narrow. I can start the threads in the bolts but they dont want to sit flush. If I had a lift and could get under it with a torch I am sure I could get them to fit.

Sorry chip I am in IT and they look just like the thermal tubing they use on heat sinks and what not to move heat around in a computer. Your term is probably more accurate than mine.

It's all good! Did the y pipe get shipped to you? Mine came in a little bent. I had to "persuade" it to a more agreeable shape. I took my hi lift jack and gently spread it some. I put tape and towels on the pipe near the flanges.

Topic author
jfliege

Post by jfliege »

I haven't ordered it, but that is why I was thinking about buying a new one because I would be fitting it into place and could take it off and message it into what I need while not attached to the jeep. with 30 years of corrosion on the ypipe at the cat I doubt i will be able to detach it without mangling it.

Then I could delete the cat too, with a flanged straight pipe. it would be nice to let the air flow better.
2015 jk unlimited

I love me some Jeeps