AMC 360 rebuild ideas

Stock FSJ Tech Area

440sixpack

Re: AMC 360 rebuild ideas

Post by 440sixpack »

If you do it yourself you know exactly what you're getting. all you need is a good machinist and a parts store.

Anyone with basic mechanical ability can assemble a street engine with the help of the internet.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I would have closet shop pull it, pallet it,and send to SJ motors. Have them rebuild it to your specs and budget and send it back to your shop to put it back in and get it running. You just call them and tell them what you want and they will pick up and deliver in about ten days. They build the motors for BJs so they obviously know an AMC or two.

They offer a 100,000 mile warranty including limited labor cost and will work with your shop on that if there's a problem to send it back to them if they can't make it happen local.

It would be done by now.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

ShagWagon wrote:I would have closet shop pull it, pallet it,and send to SJ motors. Have them rebuild it to your specs and budget and send it back to your shop to put it back in and get it running. You just call them and tell them what you want and they will pick up and deliver in about ten days. They build the motors for BJs so they obviously know an AMC or two.

They offer a 100,000 mile warranty including limited labor cost and will work with your shop on that if there's a problem to send it back to them if they can't make it happen local.

It would be done by now.
I contacted them by email the day of your first response and asked someone to contact me so we could discuss a rebuild and sent another email last week and haven't heard anything.

I looked on their website and I don't see a rebuild option, only prebuilt motors.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

440sixpack wrote:If you do it yourself you know exactly what you're getting. all you need is a good machinist and a parts store.

Anyone with basic mechanical ability can assemble a street engine with the help of the internet.
I appreciate the vote of confidence :D

I may end of doing that since it'll be a life lesson I can reuse. However I'm always super nervous i'll screw something up and won't know until its back in.... :shock:
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

As suggested previously - buy another 360 core. Rebuild it instead of your running engine, then swap in the new engine when it's ready. If you encounter a problem, you can always switch back to the running engine. A little more expensive that way, but less risky, and you minimize the downtime for your Jeep.

Or, consider the new engine practice for the rebuild of the original engine. That way you can tell yourself you are preserving the original engine to eventually be put back in the Jeep. Really, there's nothing special about one 360 block over another ... after you do the work on the new core, you may end up less emotionally attached to the original block.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I just did it over the phone. I had a million questions. When I did mine they didn't have any engines in stock they picked mine up, rebuilt my block how I wanted and a few things the salesman recommended, and sent it back to me less than 2 weeks later.

If you want to rebuild it yourself you will get all the help you need on this forum for sure if you get stuck on anything.

Good help.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

Why would a cookie cutter volume shop with half baked employees and generic parts be better than a competent local shop or doing it yourself ?

if they're doing it enough cheaper that it covers shipping both ways and still saves you money simply do the math. you get what you pay for. sometimes less.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

$50 shipping and a 10yr/100,000 mile warranty. Ten days and done. And for $1700.00 And done right by a more than competent shop that specializes in engine rebuilds only?..

I guess BJs off road who has them rebuild ALL their Jeep AMC motors doesn't know anything about who can rebuild a good motor as well.

Why would that be appealing at all? That would just be a horrible option to consider....

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

I'm thinking I may do a DIY on a cheap used engine for the core only and rebuild from there...

Still super nervous and not really sure if the wife is going to want me working on that all winter but hey "life's a risk... take it".
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Rinkle_Stinkle wrote:I'm thinking I may do a DIY on a cheap used engine for the core only and rebuild from there...

Still super nervous and not really sure if the wife is going to want me working on that all winter but hey "life's a risk... take it".
You can do it! All these great guys will get you thru any problem if you get stuck.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Well, some considerations for building your own engine:
1) It takes up space, more and more as you go along. The longer you take, the more you'll have to move it out of the way for something and the more spread out the whole project will get.
2) You don't have half the tools it takes, so get ready to spend some money. You might think you do, but you don't. Some stuff you'll realize just makes the job better, some the version of the tool you have won't work so you'll need another.

Keep in mind that your time has value and your peace of mind has value. If you embark on this endeavor, you may finish with a wealth of knowledge that you will never have use for again. OR, you may spend a lot of money and time to throw it all in the trash because it didn't work out like you'd hoped. If you're going to rebuild your engine, rebuild it because you want to for the sake of just doing it. The chance of success is low, and failure high, and it's going to cost money and take time. If an engine that doesn't work like you want isn't worth your time, then spend your money having someone else do it, and your time doing what you enjoy.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

I like Bj's and I've done a lot of business with them. but there are stories about inexcusable failures with their engines. I can't remember the member's name on the latest one but he's the guy from Sweden. look it up and see if he was thrilled.

Any shop that can build a small block chevy can build an AMC . same goes for doing it yourself don't get caught up in the " mysterious " AMC garbage. . BJ's just found a shop that does a half decent budget rebuild , nothing more nothing less.

Again you get what you pay for. if someone is way cheaper than you can do it yourself then there is a reason. everyone has to make that call for themselves just be honest with yourself about it.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Huh? Chance of success is low if you do it yourself?

No ones talking about trying to bore cylinders .010" with a ball hone.

How about elaborating.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

SJTD wrote:Huh? Chance of success is low if you do it yourself?

How about elaborating.
Remember your first kiss? The first time you made a grilled cheese sammich? Your first turn behind the wheel of a real car? How tough is all of that compared with building an engine? You know how many people completely f-up instinctual human behavior, so I don't think a random dude on the internet asking about mail-order rebuilt engines has the makings to be the next J.C. Agajanian with his first build. No offense Rinkle, anyone can learn to rebuild engines, is it worth the investment for you?
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

REDONE wrote:
SJTD wrote:Huh? Chance of success is low if you do it yourself?

How about elaborating.
Remember your first kiss? The first time you made a grilled cheese sammich? Your first turn behind the wheel of a real car? How tough is all of that compared with building an engine? You know how many people completely f-up instinctual human behavior, so I don't think a random dude on the internet asking about mail-order rebuilt engines has the makings to be the next J.C. Agajanian with his first build. No offense Rinkle, anyone can learn to rebuild engines, is it worth the investment for you?
LOL, I agree 100%. I remember the first time a tiled a room and when I replaced my first roof. I made mistakes but a crooked tile or an out-of-square roof edge wouldnt distroy the whole project. But a rolled piston ring or tight bearing could wasted $2000 and the complete project. Im weighing the idea of building or buying a 408/418 Clevor motor for my 1968 Ford Torino. I can pay a shop $1500 to assemble it for me and do it better than I. Or I can try it myself and possibley trash $9K in parts and time. Is it going to be the first attempt of many engine build or will it be only one build. If its many-then envest the time and risk to learn.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Rebuilding engines isn't for everyone. It is not rocket science but then again, you can screw it up pretty good if you don't do your home work. Some times asking for help on the Internet will net you great response where other times it will get you trash. When I really need it, I prefer my help to be the face to face kind. I don't do transmissions and have found very reputable shop for that and I have rebuilt a few engines. At 62 I doubt I will do it again.

Technical Service Manuals are almost always your friend unless it is the modern counter top Chiltons or Haynes manuals. They cover too many topics and years to get it all in a 3/4" thick book. Get the Jeep one closest to the year model you have. They built the vehicle.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

letank

Post by letank »

Even if you do not mess up the built, you can destroy the transmission upon reinstallation if you do not keep the spacing of the converter on the trans shaft -forgot the exact wording, but someone will put its feedback-

In the end finding the best shop that has rebuilt AMC engines is your best bet. Otherwise remember to clean, clean and clean more before starting the project, at some point you will still regret not having cleaned it enough. Rags rags and more paper towels, cardboard and kitty mitter to soak up impromptu leaks. Open engine and old oil will stink up your garage too... but in winter it is not as bad.

Will I built an engine in the future... why not... a transmission probably not, too much oil dripping all over the place...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

well then... I'm beginning to really rethink this whole thing. If I had a buddy that's done it before in Richmond VA to refer to then I think I'd feel a lot more comfortable.

I am typically not scared of a DIY project. Just pulled all the door panels off and fixed the lock actuators in each door and I have never done that before. pulled out the instrument cluster and replaced headlight switch and cleaned the dimmer rotary and never done that before...

But when you are talking about a 2K engine that could take hours upon hours with no one to physically ask then it gets a little more sketchy in my book. Also with the way I learn. I am a visual learner or "copycat" leaner. once I see someone do it I lock it in for life and will have no issues calling upon that skill in the future but if I don't have a person physically there with me I struggle hardcore.

I'm great at homework too, but at the same time weighing the time spent, the money and the overall reason for the project I just think the risk outweighs the reward.

I think what my plan will be is purchasing a crate motor ready to drop in. Have a shop do the removal and install and take the original engine and store it for a future rebuild. Then at a later date I may take a crack at it.

so with that said:

If I go crate I need some help. What upgrades should I be looking for? This will be my Daily and I plan to take a few longer trips with it. The last thing in the work I want is to modify it so badly I'm constantly trying to keep it running right and I want the thing to drive and ride comfortably but with a little more power for towing and taking large inclines.

I want to push 300 HP and be reliable. I guess if I'm getting a crate then a bore is possible but is it necessary? I mean can't I do an intake, 4 bbl carb and a CAM (rollers and rockers) and be close to 300?

ALSO: does anyone know of a good engine shop in Richmond Va?
Last edited by Rinkle_Stinkle on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

Shwag

Post by Shwag »

Rinkle_Stinkle wrote:

My question is:

What is a good ball park cost for a 360 rebuild by a reputable shop?
I had little knowledge about engines before buying my 86 a little over a year ago. I ran into a slew of problems trying to get it smogged and eventually decided to have my engine rebuilt by a shop I had researched online. The brass tacks is I paid a little over 4K to have the original engine pulled, rebuilt, and reassembled. The quote I got was $2,500 to rebuild, $500 to pull, $500 to put back in and another $400-500 for miscellaneous items (hoses, starter, fluids etc). The shop (Arce Engines http://www.arceengines.com) builds and leases race engines so my thinking was they could handle my stock 360. The owner was very honest upfront and stated that he really didn't have time to mess with my engine unless I pulled it and delivered it to him. I had neither the tools or time to do so. I agreed to allow him to take his time to work on it and proceeded to have it towed to his shop. He guestimated it would take 3-4 months. It took 6. Recently Tony (aka Baby Wag) took a look at the Howell system (and a few other issues) I had put in earlier and he got it dialed in after the rebuild. I'm completely happy with the route I took and grateful for Tony's assistance and others who chimmed in when I was trying to troubleshoot my smog issues. Whatever route you take I hope it all works out!
06 LR RR | 86 GW AMC 360 Howell TBI, Edelbrock Performance Intake| 79 BMW R100S

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

Shwag wrote:
Rinkle_Stinkle wrote:

My question is:

What is a good ball park cost for a 360 rebuild by a reputable shop?
I had little knowledge about engines before buying my 86 a little over a year ago. I ran into a slew of problems trying to get it smogged and eventually decided to have my engine rebuilt by a shop I had researched online. The brass tacks is I paid a little over 4K to have the original engine pulled, rebuilt, and reassembled. The quote I got was $2,500 to rebuild, $500 to pull, $500 to put back in and another $400-500 for miscellaneous items (hoses, starter, fluids etc). The shop (Arce Engines http://www.arceengines.com) builds and leases race engines so my thinking was they could handle my stock 360. The owner was very honest upfront and stated that he really didn't have time to mess with my engine unless I pulled it and delivered it to him. I had neither the tools or time to do so. I agreed to allow him to take his time to work on it and proceeded to have it towed to his shop. He guestimated it would take 3-4 months. It took 6. Recently Tony (aka Baby Wag) took a look at the Howell system (and a few other issues) I had put in earlier and he got it dialed in after the rebuild. I'm completely happy with the route I took and grateful for Tony's assistance and others who chimmed in when I was trying to troubleshoot my smog issues. Whatever route you take I hope it all works out!

Thanx Shwag!!! I am thinking the rebuild would be better at a later date. I think I just need some input on engine upgrades, good place to buy and engine and a Richmond VA shop. I'm glad it all worked out for you! :fsj:
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers