Uh oh i chipped my windhshield badly.. is it fubar or ?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Uh oh i chipped my windhshield badly.. is it fubar or ?

Post by candymancan »

I just put a 90s headliner and console in my 90 (i had an 82 headliner and no console) and i noticed my rear view mirror like 1/4 of it on top is blocked by the console. Kinda annoying because i cant see part of the road behind me. The clip on the rear mirror thats glued to the windshield needed to go down an inch or 1/2 an inch. I did some research on how to remove it.. I tried guitar string.. that didnt work.. I was a little scared on trying a lighter or torch as i heard it can shatter the windshield or cause bubbles between the panels and then shatter or crack it..

I heard about acetone.. So tried that method.. I soaked the thing in acetone for like 20 minutes.. Then tried to gently move the thing off the windshield with a pair of pliers. I really didnt use any strength at all i was being gentle so i was suprised when it popped off the glass. I thought yea the acetone worked.. but it took chunks of the windshield with it..

Damnit.. Should have listend to myself and dealt with 1/4 of my mirror being blocked. It isnt cracked though.. Its chipped, chipped badly.. Some spots are very thin. some are pretty deep. a few MM deep. But no cracks. This really blows and im automatically thinking i need a new 2-300$ windshield.

But here i am, asking.. Is this windshield still okay ? Or will it start cracking this winter ? Is there anything i can put in the chips to fill it up you know how when you get a big rock smash your windshield and you use a repair kit and it has some kind of clear glue that fills in the cracks. I have a fish tank hobby and a ghetto way to fix a cracked fish tank is to take a peice of glass and use clear silicone on the crack and apply the sheet of glass over it, in turn you can actually re-use the tank (even though i wouldnt use it lol) but thats a little trick. My glass isnt cracked though so couldnt i just do something like this, by getting a thin peice of glass and some of that glass repair glue stuff for chips and sandwiching it to fill in the chip. Or should I just leave it alone and see how far the golden horse shoe is up my anus. Everyone screws up but this one mess up im really kicking myself on :banghead:

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

SJTD

Re: Uh oh i chipped my windhshield badly.. is it fubar or ?

Post by SJTD »

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had mirrors fall of and take glass with them and not have the glass crack.

If it cracks deal with it then.

I don't think a patch or glue will help.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

There are epoxies that are designed to fill voids like that in glass.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Ask your local SafeLite franchise. They have a system to fill chips like that.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

chips thst bad ? what i was thinking of doing was getting 15nl of resin for windshields and making a cover over it and injecting it with the resin let it harden and take the cover off.. kimda same way they do rock chips.

Ill bring it in to safelight here locally tomorrow. They are closed sundays. Hooefully itll be a not too expensive fix if they can fix it.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

I've used a torch it's easy.. but damage is done... I agree with everyone else leave it till it's a problem.

When it is a problem I'd advise a pro as I experienced first hand it's a m!@#$%f&*()-r to do your self... I broke my $300 windshield doing it my self. Then another $370 to have it I installed for me including parts, glass and rubber including labor.. with an install no leak guarantee.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well itll only cost 18$ to fill the void with resin they use for windsheilds.. Can make a barrier with the cure sheet just tape it on.. Then inject it with a needle into the barrier to fill it.
Im sure thats what safelight will do.

Yea i should habe used heat man.. Oh well lesson learned for next time.. What do you use to glue the tab on the windshield.

in my pic i had glued it down the inch but as soon as i put my mirror in it fell off.

I use permetexs high strength windshield glue for tab.. But it keeps falling off.

followed intructikns to a tee too

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well i went to safelight first thing in morning.

As i was lookong at the giant crater i noticed the glass is cracked in the center of it going up.. So i showed them the crater and at first he said he cant do it and im like. Can you at least try please.. So he said okay well try it.. So as we go inside i ask how much this will cost and he said free.

So another guy took my Jeep out in the shop and explwined hes going to use a very thick resin that doesnt drip. And a UV lamp to cure it. 25 min later he was done and wow.. its all filled in and fairly clear. There are alot of scrap marks on tje resin from the razor blade. but ill use a high grit sand paper to polish that.

The only issue is the crack went slightly into the flat undamaged glass.. Less than a mm inside.. He filled it and the crater as best as he couldn. So its a 50.50 chance it wont spread.

I marked it with a blue sharpie pen to keep an eye on it. If it does start spreading im going to take a dremel and shave the glass away until i shave the crack away ao it wont spread. Then ill get some the pit filler resin they used and fill in the divet i make from shaving that tiny pin sized crack away.

I think my windshield is okay though.. They even glued the tab back on for me.