Front center seat - dimensions, mounting, compatibility...

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
merrill77

Front center seat - dimensions, mounting, compatibility...

Post by merrill77 »

My '77 has a center console (not stock, obviously), which I would like to be able to swap out for an additional front seat space when needed. Did the center seat/armrest change over the years?

How are these mounted - are there threaded holes on the floorpan? Or is there a nut on the underside? Is that a challenge to get access to - around the tranny or t-case? The TSM doesn't seem to have any useful detail on mounting points, etc. Will the mounting holes already be there even if it came with a bench seat? (it has seats from something more modern, so I don't know what it came with).

Also, are the basic dimensions the same as what I have in my '87 GW? If so, I can use that for guidance.

With non-stock buckets, I may need to do something totally different, but I thought the stock unit would be a good place to start looking. I've never done something like this before (which is sort-of a pattern for me).

TIA!
Chris

77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

SJTD

Re: Front center seat - dimensions, mounting, compatibility...

Post by SJTD »

What are those seats from? Those're the best looking/fitting nonstock seats I've seen.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer to that, yet. I need to poke around inside the bottom to see if I get any sort marking to help ID them. But yeah, someone did a really nice job with them...and the rest of the interior.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

To try to answer your question, the stock center has a heavy sheet metal bracket running along each side of the lower section. Just held down by sheet metal screws if I recall correctly.

Not really a seat, more of a filler. Good enough for one's wife to sit next to one for a while but not comfy enough that she'll do it alla time.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Thanks for that.

Comfort isn't really a concern here...this is for the times when we need one more seat for a boy scout on a trip (or occasionally driving my sons XC teammates to a game/meet). Sometimes (always) we are very close on having enough drivers to get all the scouts to the destination. I've had scouts in the center front seat of my '87 GW for one of our longer trips with never a complaint. When a scout is given a choice between a tight seat and no seat, the answer is always the same :)
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Fyi if you want the third seat back in and arm rest. but you dont want to lose the storage and cup holders look up ny thread here for a fix. There are 92-96 buick roadmasters that have a arm rest/console. That fit our Jeeps center seat brackets. Just need a little modification.. Has two cup holders and plenty of storage and if youre not using the cup holders it folds closed for more arm rest space. Honestly one of the best modifications ive done so far.

Also im like 80% confident the center seat didnt change from any year 70s to 90s. So i think any of them will bolt up.. Oh and my pic of the arm rest standing up. i fixed that and cut the brackets back more so itll tilt back further for someone to sit back there comfortably

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=13036
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Hey, thanks! If I do that, I'd probably never want to put my existing console back in...the cupholders are really the only part of the console that I want.

Do you still have that tan one you mentioned in the post?
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

The factory center console/seat is held down by four 5/16" bolts. There are welded nuts on the bottom of the transmission hump for these bolts. You would have to pull what you have out to see how it was mounted. There was no seat belt for the center IIRC.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

csuengr wrote:The factory center console/seat is held down by four 5/16" bolts. There are welded nuts on the bottom of the transmission hump for these bolts. You would have to pull what you have out to see how it was mounted. There was no seat belt for the center IIRC.
Thanks!! Time for me to pull that console - I'm hoping that they installed the it using those same holes, rather than adding more.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

SJTD wrote:What are those seats from? Those're the best looking/fitting nonstock seats I've seen.
I went to see an upholstery guy yesterday to inquire about getting custom seat and floor covers made. He thought they looked familiar...says maybe they're from a Camaro...or some possibly other Chevy/GM. He was seemed confident that the mounts were custom-made to adapt to the existing bolt patterns. He does a lot of car work, but I wouldn't consider him an expert on the subject.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

SJTD wrote:What are those seats from? Those're the best looking/fitting nonstock seats I've seen.
They really look like they belong in a Jeep. I wonder if they are Grand Cherokee seats.
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

No the tan one i got sold 2 weeks ago sadly. Check ebay there are a few on there.

Someone said there was no seat belt ? maybe hes talking about older years ? but my 90 has a lap belt for the center. Its on the same belt for the passenger seat it just split into two clips
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

StretchinSD

Post by StretchinSD »

Did anyone identify the seats in this Wagoneer?

dissinnick

Post by dissinnick »

BTT

Lets get these seats identified. They are again best looking so far.

dissinnick

Post by dissinnick »

seats possible.jpg
First round of googling yields 2003 tacoma as first contender.

Thoughts?

Update: I dont think toyota ever used dark brown like the base plastic on the seats. What makes did?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Looks real close. Main difference I see is the hole on the base below and ahead of the recline handle on Merrill's seat isn't on the grey one. Also the headrest rods look to have different bends. The contours of the plastic look pretty much the same. Maybe a year difference.

I see a Lincoln MKVIII on my daily bike ride that has seats that look good. My local Pic a Part has two MKVIII's. Might check them out this weekend.

Problem I see with Grand Cherokee seats is that they seem too tall.

Merrill, I hope you don't mind the thread derailment. I can start a new thread if you want.
Sic friatur crustulum

dissinnick

Post by dissinnick »

Original post was posted 2 years ago haha

@Merrill if you still need center console size, i can measure one of mine.
s-l640.jpg
This is the plastic from 01-04 tacoma.... soooo close, but missing small details.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yeah, pretty close. I now see the Taco doesn't have the recessed area under the handle.

Did you look at 00 or 05? I'm going to but wondering if you had.

I tried to find pichers of Camaro seats that looked like Merrill's but haven't had much luck.
Sic friatur crustulum

StretchinSD

Post by StretchinSD »

dissinnick wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:55 am Original post was posted 2 years ago haha

@Merrill if you still need center console size, i can measure one of mine.

s-l640.jpg

This is the plastic from 01-04 tacoma.... soooo close, but missing small details.
I was looking for bucket seats for a Wagoneer I just picked up and those are the best looking seats I found while searching for seat options.

I looked through Google images quite a bit before I dug up the old thread.

dissinnick

Post by dissinnick »

I know, Merrill if you get bored one day and want to help out a couple curious posters.... pull one of the side plastics off and get a part number, that will reveal make/model from the original.

Also, does it look like they were painted brown and the tan/gray is showing through on the wear spot?