Door alignment

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
dodgerammit

Door alignment

Post by dodgerammit »

On radio flyer, I've noticed the upper passenger front window frame scrapes the A piller drip rail trim as I open and shut the door. Closer inspection tells me the door is square in fit to everything else, but the cross-eyed spot welder at AMC placed the drip rail metal too low near the top of the windshield. :lol:

So, I need to know how to compromise to remedy this situation. The hinges have no play in the bushings, so that is no worry. The hinge to pillar looks to adjust in and out as far as flushness over entire body panel. I need to shift the entire door rearward about 1/8"-3/16".

I notice the hinge to door attachment seems to hide inside the door itself. Is this something I would adjust inside, behind the door panel?

Many thanks!
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Tatsadasayago

Re: Door alignment

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I had a similar fitment issue with my Cherokee. There is no adjustment on the door side of the hinge, but you can loosen the bolts on the body side and add shims or stacked washers. (Being sure to scribe around the hinges for re-alignment)
The only other way I know of is to place a port-a-power at the rear of the door opening with the other end where the A-Pillar meets the roof. This is actually the factory approved method we used at the dealership.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I had a similar fitment issue with my Cherokee. There is no adjustment on the door side of the hinge, but you can loosen the bolts on the body side and add shims or stacked washers. (Being sure to scribe around the hinges for re-alignment)
The only other way I know of is to place a port-a-power at the rear of the door opening with the other end where the A-Pillar meets the roof. This is actually the factory approved method we used at the dealership.
Weird. this is what I've found on IFSJA. It says there are bolts mounting the hinges inside the door that can be adjusted. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=171179
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I thought the door side of the hinges gives you front to back adjustment and/or tilt. (As seen from the side not the back)
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Feel free to refute my comments...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

So if the door is sagging a little there is no way to adjust that ? sorry to thread bomb. my passenger door rubs the hing on the pillar when you close it and you hsve to slam the door to close it.. and as you do it slowely you can see the lift up because its drooped
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Success! Pulled the door panel. Three torx head bolts on each hinge mount. Wife helped and we pulled the whole door back about 1/16", maybe a little closer to 1/8" at the top. Has a whole lot more adjustment than what I needed. Just loosened one hinge and worked it at a time. It is still close, but the door no longer rubs the drip rail trim, or tries to pop the corner trim piece from the drip rail.

Candyman, first lift up and down on your door when it is open. If you feel a noticeable wobble/slop then your hinge pins or pin holes themselves are worn. I've always had luck with dorman help door pin repair assortments at the local parts store.

If no wobble, then you can adjust the tilt the same way I did.

First, check your gap all the way around door. Also, check your body lines. If it is even, and the only rub point is the striker/latch, then you need to adjust your striker. It may need to have a shim removed, or need moved down just a bit. It may only need lubed.

If your door isn't square in the hole:

Pull door panel.

You will see access holes at the top and bottom of the door right where the hinges disappear into door.

Work on one hinge at a time. Loosen two of the three bolts to the point they can easily turn. The final bolt is the one you will barely loosen and lift/lower the door to adjust. You may need an additional set of hands. You will need lots of patience. It is very time consuming.

I was lucky and the striker on mine didn't need to have either of the two shims pulled. The latch is very close as it goes in, but still clears, so I left it alone.

Also, FWIW, my door latch will lift my door maybe 1/16"-1/8" when it closes, but there is no slamming needed. I just think it is the norm to keep pressure off of the hinges when driving and such.

Good luck!

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

@dodgerammit, you're talking about the front doors, right?

I need to adjust my rear doors..I'm guessing that is done by adding or removing shims between the door hinge and the body? I tried loosening the bolts on one of the doors and was pleased to find that I could loosen them all :) What is best for shim material? I see there are already several shims on my door hinges - they all appear to be uniformly cut to match the hinge shape, so presumably they are from the factory.

77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeah, my front passenger was the one I adjusted. I haven't even checked the rear hinges.