Alternator Issue

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
mackthomas

Alternator Issue

Post by mackthomas »

Hey Guys,

I have an alternator issue. Shorten the story a bit. Left the key in the on position of my 91 grand wagoneer and drained the entire battery. My wagoneer was a $350.00 special that ran ok. I have been replacing parts slowly. I did the alternator last year and my charging capabilities was fine. With a dead battery I decided to replace my starter relay. I successfully put the wires back together.

I now have two problems with the alternator, or so I think, one is that it does not charge above 12v while running, and that after driving it has a horrible squeal sound.

These problems happened the change in was made with the starter relay and I replaced the 10ga wire that ran from the terminal post to the back of the alternator.

The second part I believe the belt is slipping.

Any ideas or info would help.

Thanks

91 Grand Wagoneer

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Re: Alternator Issue

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

The squealing is the belt slipping and that is from it being loose or warn/dry rotted/glazed. The high amperage the alternator is trying to put out to recharge your dead battery is enough extra load to slip the belt. The charging systems in these old FSJs don't like to charge a battery from full drain, especially if your wiring is old and brittle. I'd tighten or replace the belt, charge the battery fully with a charger, then retest.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Topic author
mackthomas

Re: Alternator Issue

Post by mackthomas »

Thanks, a neighbor and I followed your advise about the belt. After testing the wires we found that the problem the is the starter.

It seams like the starter relay is sending a 12v signal continuously to the starter, and drawing down the amperage and causing a horrible noise. I know it is not good for my starter. Is the solenoid post on the relay supposed to send a 12v continuously to the starter?

This is my first project vehicle and I am learning as I go, any any help would be appreciated.

Thanks