pulling 360 with engine crane

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Hendo2.5

pulling 360 with engine crane

Post by Hendo2.5 »

I am pulling my engine and am not sure where to attach the chains. I don't have lift plates and other engines I have worked on have hooks. I did some reading and see recommendations about lifting from the intake manifold but don't get how that works. any directions would be appreciated. Thanks.

4bz

Re: pulling 360 with engine crane

Post by 4bz »

Commercially manufactured engine lifting plates are available online for about $14. They bolt onto the intake manifold in place of the carburetor. A search for "engine lifting plate" on Ebay will pull up many examples. Personally, I have had great success with a chain and some simple hoist tabs (hoist tabs = a 2x4 inch piece of 3/16 flat bar stock with a hole drilled in each end). I like to use one of the driver side bellhousing bolts in the rear, and one of the accessory bolt holes in the passenger side engine head at the front. With a chain, a quick link is needed to create a loop in the chain for your lift point. If you lift an engine with a straight chain alone, the chain can easily slide through the engine crane hook and drop the load where you don't want it to be. A loop in the chain will prevent this. If you are removing the engine and transmission together, you will need to move the lift point to the rear a couple of times. The first lift point will be to get the engine clear of the motor mounts, then move the lift point to the rear to offset the weight of the transmission. Some wood blocks will be handy for blocking the engine between lifts.

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

I would get a lift plate.

But if you aren't going to I'd use a big enough chain to use head bolts. if you cut the chain to length you can get a head bolt through the last links of I th1nk it's a 3/8 chain. maybe it's 7/16. use a flat washer.

You're not going to break a 1/2" head bolt, the 3/8 intake bolts at a bad angle make me nervous .

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I've pulled many engines by using long 3/8" bolts on the intake. The key is to find the bolts that provide good balance on the complete engine. I found the 4 bolts around the carb work the best.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I used the bolt holes in the heads, they have them in the front and back. I would never trust a lift plate. The carb bolts are meant to hold a carb down, not lift UP a whole engine and trans.

The problem I had was I ran out of lift on my hoist. Had to let the air out of my front tires for it to clear the core support.

I'd say a leveler is a must.

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

I have a lever on my crane and I have also pulled the inner/outer fenders and grill off since I'm doing a full restoration. I have to get it out today because of the weather so I can't get my hands on a plate. Does anyone have a picture that shows where the bolts to lift from are?
another problem I noticed is that the exhaust manifold on one side has turned into a rusted clump and has new bolts in only half of the holes on the other. this leads me to suspect that the bolts are going to or have broken off in the block. Any tricks for that? Im thinking I might have to drill them out.

letank

Post by letank »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I've pulled many engines by using long 3/8" bolts on the intake. The key is to find the bolts that provide good balance on the complete engine. I found the 4 bolts around the carb work the best.
X2, by the oil fill tube, there is a large threaded hole -3/8"- and another one around the EGR valve in the back, buy 2 eye bolts -they are available and you have 2 good anchor points, I remember doing this a zillion years ago... no need to remove inner fenders, may be the heater box and the hood , yes the hood is a big limiting factor, scribe the location of the bolt in relation to the hood mounting points, on the hood.

I used those to pull the intake -yes the cast iron intake-

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

I've pulled lots of big blocks with the 5/16 carb bolts and a plate. it works fine.

I wouldn't be afraid of the 4 3/8" bolts that looks solid. I've seen idiots do it with 2.

If you want to make life easier just pull the tranny first. why fight it if you don't have to.

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

Thanks I've pulled the bolts off the tranny housing and removed the starter. I think I'm ready to hook it up. I counted 8 tranny bolts. let me know if I missed anything.could I use the tranny bolts?

Topic author
Hendo2.5

Post by Hendo2.5 »

I got it off. I ended up being some bolts eyes on them and screwing them into the intake manifold. didn't look like it should work but it did. it even was okay when the chain only tensed up on 2 of them.