Some Items for FSJ Wisdom Please...

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Some Items for FSJ Wisdom Please...

Post by 1979bettywhite »

1. I am experiencing a knock on startup on my 360, and a 3-4 second delay before oil pressure builds. Oil pressure is fine once started but have pretty low oil pressure when idle. It comes back up upon acceleration, but still not where I think it should be. Running 10w-40 with a WIX filter.

I have read a decent amount about this on the web and the consensus seems to be the clearance issue with the oil pump housing and gears etc. So my question is, what should I inspect regarding this to determine my issue, and what is a decent solution for a novice shade tree mechanic. Should I even mess with it, or take it to a shop? I just had my RMS done by a shop I respect, maybe go back there?

2. I have a leaky power steering pump. I have gotten quotes for a new one, a NOS one, and a reman one from NAPA. Which would be a decent one to go with. I think Napa offers a decent warranty on the reman one, of course it is the cheap option.

Once again is this a job for a novice shade tree mechanic or leave it to a professional?

3. I believe the chief is on its original shocks. Like driving a caddy since there is probably no rebound left in them. Would replacing the shocks give me some height back, or is that going to be totally up to the springs? Thinking about a lift, but it may be 6-9 months away. Worth replacing the shocks now, or just wait until I do the lift. Would go with some decent, but on the low end shocks until then.

Thanks guys.

AwesomeJ10

Re: Some Items for FSJ Wisdom Please...

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

My honcho has valve knock upon cold startup for years. I would say to not worry about it. You can try a few different filters if you like, but the WIX is already good.

PS pump - napa reman

Shocks - new ones won't give you any height unless you get the ones with little springs on them. Throw some cheapies on there until you get a lift, then get some really nice ones. I like Fox. Kinda expensive, but they are easily rebuilt.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I would add that if you are relying on the original oil pressure gauge it will often be slow to react and more often read incorrectly.

As it has been said before: "Jeep gauges are for amusement purposes only." :P
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

It's an aftermarket mechanical gauge. So it is probably accurate. And knock goes away as soon as pressure builds.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I have read a decent amount about this on the web and the consensus seems to be the clearance issue with the oil pump housing and gears etc. So my question is, what should I inspect regarding this to determine my issue, and what is a decent solution for a novice shade tree mechanic. Should I even mess with it, or take it to a shop? I just had my RMS done by a shop I respect, maybe go back there?
I just got done researching low oil pressure. In a non-scientific survey I would say 90% of the ones that had an issue with oil pressure had just had the RMS done. In my extrapolation that means the oil pump lost suction or the pick up screen is not placed right upon re-install. My .02.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Yes, I think I will call the shop and ask them about it. They are pretty helpful and do a lot of work on FSJs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I don't get a knock with my 360 but on a cold morning when I fire it up I hear what sounds like a gear drive timing set until pressure comes up. May be similar...
Perhaps a thinner or thicker oil may cure the knocking sound?
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

letank

Post by letank »

flame suit on.... the only time I had a knock on the 74 was 100kmiles ago at 250K when I installed a napa gold oil filter... at 349K now, even as the beast has been parked for a while, there are no knocks on OEM engine when I do a warm up every 6 months, I am on AC oil filter, same for the 85 for the last 12+ years. Even on 25F morning when I did a trip on an early spring with 20W50 and snow appeared in the forecast, it cranked slowly for sure...

As said above, a thinner oil could do the trick, thinner flows better and faster. In the end too much oil pressure equals restriction or no flow... in a way.

The screen pick up could be too low bottoming onto the oil pan, or the mesh at the pick up screen plugged with debris, there is a little plug that is attached to the pick up screen to prevent the screen from bottoming onto the oil pan...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I've often wondered if my TBI is the blame. Perhaps AMC engineered the oil system expecting the carb to take forever to start, allowing more time for the oil system to catch up.

But others have the same ticking upon startup who are carbd.

who knows.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Yes, I could understand ticking and tapping. Have that with my 258 in the CJ on startup, but this sounds more "bottom end" to me. My carb does not have a choke installed (which I need to do), so I usually turn the engine over for 4-5 seconds, then give the pedal a pump and turn it over again. Still get some of the noise as oil pressure still takes a seconds or two to come online.

Taking it back to the shop on Tuesday, so will let you guys know what they find. Going to have the PS pump replaced. Just don't have the time right now to get to it, and tired of it leaking all over the place. Ordered new bushings for the sway bar and end links as the PS fluid has destroyed them over time. Probably had been leaking for a long time with the PO.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

How low is low oil pressure when your running ? Mine will sit idle at 20psi using 10-40. And when im driving itll be 50-60 psi.

Using 10-30 itll be 10psi idle and about 45-50 driving. I have a bad knocking sound on mine when its cold and i drive. It doesnt do it when cold started and in high idle.. It oddly only does it when i drive off but only for like 100 feet then goes away.

I dropped my oil pan and there was a little sludge on bottom but nothing too abnormal.. I took off a few bearing caps and the two i looked at the bearings actually looked brand new so hardly even worn. The crank looled fine too. I could only replace half ny rear main which thankfully worked and the main bearing and crank looked fine too. And my noise was coming from the rear of the engine.

I suspect its the valves or a lifter getting no oil. And when its driven for that 100-200 feet it oils uo and goes away.. Not sure how to fix that or pin point the noise. Hell it could be the camshaft being worn out too i dunno.

But as long as it goes away after a few seconds of driving and oil pressure stays where its at ill be happy.. Been doing it since i got it 10k miles ago and hasnt gotten worse.

Thats just my 2 cents... Also i suggest you guys use some rislone ZDDP i put it in all 3 of ny engines and it does help quiet down lifter noises
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)