Texas DPS Safety Inspection - Exhaust Interpretation

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author

Texas DPS Safety Inspection - Exhaust Interpretation

Post by 243 »

The entire section for passenger car exhaust is posted below but I am only concerned with one aspect at this time. In the past, the station has flatly stated the exhaust must exit the rear of the vehicle because the Cherokee like other SUV's, the passenger compartment extends to the rear. However, paragraph (j.) indicates to me, the exhaust tailpipe is compliant if it exits from under the vehicle.

I would prefer the exhaust run to the rear but with a spare tire mounted tank, it looks like I would have to run the exhaust between the frame and spring, up and along the outside of the frame and over the rear spring hangers and down at a 45 degree angle. So I am looking at options and one may be to dump in front of the rear wheels.

NOTE:

1. Inspection Procedure. The exhaust system shall be examined visually while the engine is running to determine efficiency of the system.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

Inspection/Rejection Criteria

20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.

Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover and are sometimes used for the transportation of passengers. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides. This truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment.

The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment. The cab only of all other truck-type vehicles is considered passenger or luggage compartment.

If the vehicle is equipped with lake pipes or similar devices, such pipes or devices must be securely plated and bolted or capped.

Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.

The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.

NOTE:

1. Inspection Procedure. The exhaust system shall be examined visually while the engine is running to determine efficiency of the system.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Vehicle is not equipped with a muffler.

b. Any joint is loose or leaking, including manifolds. Does not include minor leakage at exhaust control valve (manifold damper or heat riser valve).

c. Manifold is cracked or broken causing leakage.

d. Holes, leaking seams, or patches on the muffler, resonators, exhaust pipe, tailpipe, or catalytic converter.

e. Exhaust system is not secured to the vehicle by mounting brackets designed for exhaust systems (wire is not acceptable).

f. Any brackets are loose, broken, or missing.

g. There is excessive vibration of exhaust line.

h. Any part of the exhaust system passes through the passenger compartment.

i. The tailpipe is broken, pinched, or eroded off to the extent to allow exhaust fumes to penetrate into the interior of the passenger compartment.

j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

NOTE: Holes in the exhaust system made by the manufacturer for drainage are not cause for rejection. The tailpipe must direct the exhaust fumes out from under the passenger compartment.

Inspection of exhaust systems covers the discharge of exhaust fumes and is not concerned with the noise level.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

tgreese

Re: Texas DPS Safety Inspection - Exhaust Interpretation

Post by tgreese »

An exit in front of the rear wheel is pretty common, but is typically a modification by the owner. Your wagon would have exited at the rear corner from the factory. I think you pretty much have to accept the judgement of your inspection station, or find another inspection station that agrees with you. Clearly you can't go back to the middle under the car and dump under the car, whether dumping down or not.

They refer to "lake pipes" which exit at the side, ahead of the rear wheel. These pipes are usually added to bring the output of fender well headers to the side of the car, since those headers go through the fender and need to run under the floor, outside the frame. Ask your inspection station if a configuration liek that will work. Be warned that such a dump ahead of the wheels does not carry fumes away very well, and you'll get a lot of exhaust in the car if the side windows are down.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Seems pretty clear to me that exiting the sides is legal but if your inspector fails reading comprehension...

Maybe highlight the relevant text and show it to him or do as Tim says and find another inspector who goes by the Law and not his feelings.

Do these inspectors also do repairs? Seems a conflict of interest if they do.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I need to have my truck inspected this month so I can take a copy of the rules and a photo of the Jeep and get their input.

I sure don't want to build my exhaust and get in a pissing match later.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress