A/C Question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
1979bettywhite

A/C Question

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I thought about clocking it as well, but the bolts in the back are in a 5 point star pattern. So figured even if I clocked 90 degrees I would have the same issue. Have you seen any significant belt wear?

How the heck did you get the conversion plate tightened down to the York plate? Only way I can see to do it is out of the vehicle. Which would not let me make any minor adjustments once it's in.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rapom

Re: A/C Question

Post by rapom »

Just checked my compressor, and that’s what I did.

rapom

Post by rapom »

You can only clock 15 degrees from the 12 o’clock position. Either the 3 or 9 o’clock positions. Any more and you burn up the compressor. Fittings for yours would be in the 9 o’cl position looking at it from the front of your jeep.

All you do is turn the whole compressor. No need to take it apart.

rapom

Post by rapom »

Can’t remember how I did it. I would mount the compressor loosely and the plate so that you can slide it. and move the plate where it needs to be, Then remove the compressor and then tighten the plate.

No belt wear. I can text or email pictures if you would like.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Gotcha. And that gave you the clearance? Looks like that would basically be the same issue as the bolt on the back of the compressor that is hitting the head would essentially just be another bolt. But I can certainly try it.

A picture would be nice if you have the time.

Thanks.

rapom

Post by rapom »

You have an email I can send the pictures to.

rapom

Post by rapom »

I took some pictures. Bolt just clears the bottom of the valve cover.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Thanks to rapom I was finally able to get everything back together. Clocking the Sanded 90 degrees to the passenger side gave me just enough clearance to help the pulleys line up a little better. Headed to the A/C shop tomorrow to try and pull a vacuum on it then have it filled with 134a. Installed a 10" Hayden pusher fan on the condenser that I plan to wire to a switch inside so I can flip it on whenever I want. Thought about a trinary switch, but figured I might get more use out of it when I am not running the A/C, yet may be on the trail at a lower speed. Just some added cooling.

Once again, thanks for the help. Hopefully the hard parts are out of the way now and it will hold a vacuum tomorrow and I will finally have A/C. Will report back and post up some pictures just in case others may have the same issue in the future.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

So somewhat eventful day at the AC shop, but I am happy to report I now have fully working AC again.

Went to the shop about 8:30 this am. We pulled vacuum on the system but it did not want to pull full vacuum and was slowly leaking somewhere. So we then put in about a half pound of refrigerant in to see if we could hear where it was leaking. After some inspection we determined it was coming from the high pressure line where it connects to the condeser. We sprayed some soapy water there to confirm the bubble making was happening there.

So back to the house I go, somewhat frustrated. I spent some good time this weekend putting things back together. So I decided to pull the grill and see if I could reach that connection with a set of wrenches. I was able to get it loosened up. All I could find was that the radiator shop must have just gotten too much over spray on the flair fitting on the condenser when they painted it after testing. So I took a wire brush and cleaned that off, reconnected things and back to the shop I went.

Pulled the vacuum and it pegged out nicely. After about 5 minutes of vacuum, we turned it off and it sat and held the vacuum great. We then put 2 lbs of refrigerant in and wa-la, I now have functional AC again!

Was starting to get very frustrated with this job, but I am glad I stuck with it until the end. Once again the reward on bringing these old things back to life is very nice.

Oh, forgot to mention that was the first time I have had the grill off her. A couple rusty screws gave me some extra added work, but I won in the end.

Also, the pusher fan actually did not help in bringing down the high pressure, it actually made it worse. AC guy said not to use it, but instead try and look for a radiator fan shroud, as I am not currently running one. He said a metal working shop should be able to make one for me. So I may try to go that route as I know they can be hard to come by.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Fan schroud importance can't be stated enough.

rapom

Post by rapom »

Glad everything worked out for you. I found that I was getting crazy high pressure when charging but once I got the complete charge in, the pressure came down. I only put in 24oz. for my charge. I do all my charges and that's what my other systems called for so I wanted to stay safe. My highest high pressure was 320psi before I even had 10oz. in. Then it started coming down. I have a shroud but added the pusher fan because I was going to be at the Jeepfest parade in Toledo Ohio and wanted to be sure it didn't get hot.

It still runs to hot with the A/C on even with the pusher fan. (Never had any overheating problems until I got this A/C working.) Thats with a new radiator also. So I'm down to the swapping out the water pump. Engine has 130,000 plus miles on it and the pump looks original. I'm going to install one of those Flowcooler pumps this winter to see how that does.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Yeah, try the water pump. Which thermostat are you running? It might be as easy as replacing the t-stat it might not be opening up correctly. And from what I hear the pusher fans don't really help. The only thing that really helps is the shroud. I took mine off today before I put the grill back on.

Sadly when I got home today and try to get the box back up under the dash, it won't go. The low pressure line basically needs to be clocked 90 degrees. So at this point I am still stuck. She goes to the Jeep experts in my town next week and at this point I am pretty frustrated. Feels like one step forward, two back. So I am just going to have to have them evac the system....again, change the hose positions, then get the box situated back up under the dash, then finally refill the system. Frustrating.

So I think I am just going to let them finish things up. She and I are not on great speaking terms right now. At least I can prop up the box in the floor and run the AC. It's just not back under the dash yet.

Grrrr.....

rapom

Post by rapom »

That 90 degree fitting you need was the hardest part for me to source. None of the big aftermarket A/C places had it. I had to get it from a tractor parts supplier that had A/C fittings for tractors.

If interested, I can see if I can find the company and maybe I can find the receipt.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Well the line already has a 90 on it. The problem was it needs to be clocked towards the floor. The other problem is these new lines are not very flexible. Super stiff. So that makes it even harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapom

Post by rapom »

Yes, I wasn't able to use the stock hose through firewall rubber bushing because of the stiffness. I made my own bushing using the black sticky rubber that a/c companies give you to seal up the areas the hoses run through.