Headlight suggestions

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
csuengr

Headlight suggestions

Post by csuengr »

I have to replace my headlights next month, and was wondering if there is anything between the usual halogen replacements and something under $100 each. I am leaning towards the halogens, but would like something with more light since I will do doing interstate travel and night. Thanks.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

tgreese

Re: Headlight suggestions

Post by tgreese »

Any annual safety inspection? If so, you will need DOT approved headlights.

So you want better than halogen at under $100, or like halogens but under $100? You can get the Autopal halogens for well under $100. If no inspection, you could get the E-code reflectors, higher wattage bulbs, and relays. I put the DOT Autopal H4s in my J20 for something under $65-70 including the weather-proof relays, circuit breaker, breaker cover, sockets and wire.
Last edited by tgreese on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

tgreese wrote:Any annual safety inspection? If so, you will need DOT approved headlights.
No safety inspections. In Colorado, you can have body panels hanging off, cracked windshields, rusted suspension, bald tires, but as long as it passes emissions, you can drive it.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

What about LED replacements? What are they costing and are they worth it?

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

rocklaurence wrote:What about LED replacements? What are they costing and are they worth it?
I was thinking of that, or H4 conversions.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well i dont know much about HID or LEDs. But for regular lights, i put on Sylvanias silvedtars on mine and went from nasty yellow barely could see at night original lights to the road being lit up pretty well.

Also added better fog lights too and pointed them up to match the headlights
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

BaldBeardedBastard

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

Here's a plug for LEDs. I swapped out both the headlights(truck-lite) and the fogs(Rigid) after I had a night drive that was just a little too dim. Now I have collapsed suns for headlights with nice cut offs and the woody is the most enjoyable vehicle to drive at night. And the truck-lites don't look over-the-top odd during the day. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

BaldBeardedBastard wrote:Here's a plug for LEDs. I swapped out both the headlights(truck-lite) and the fogs(Rigid) after I had a night drive that was just a little too dim. Now I have collapsed suns for headlights with nice cut offs and the woody is the most enjoyable vehicle to drive at night. And the truck-lites don't look over-the-top odd during the day. ImageImage

I'm with BBB... We put trucklites (owned by rigid btw) in Walter. Since the wife was supposed to be driving him I wanted her to have the best lights we could find. They aren't cheap but worth every penny imho. The light is very clean, white, and well patterned. They are literally plug and play, no extra relays or anything. They are extremely durable and draw very little power. I prefer the trucklites over the JW Speaker as they look less alien (and are slightly less expensive).
If you can catch 4wheel parts or whoever running a sale/coupon/some other discount, you'll still be paying a good sum. But in my personal opinion it was well worth the investment!
ImageImageImageImage

az chip

Post by az chip »

I did H4's and the relays. Works well. Just drove for the first time at night the other night. Plenty of light. I think $110 for the whole thing.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well Just show you guys what my lights look like.

This is with 2 brand new Sylverstar headlights. $25 a peice, and with new fog lights Linked below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4X4-OFF-ROAD- ... 1ea52eae25

First pic is with no fogs on, 2nd is brights, 3rd is normal with fogs, personally i hate people who use LEDS.. they are blinding to drivers.. Any LED light is blinding.. Fish tank LEDS are blinding, normal LED lights for some reason are just a peircing light.. and headlights are even worse. I wish they would be illegal TBH. Look into an LED light compared to a normal light bulb.. And im sure you notice how the LED wants to burn your eyes... Im sure you all have driven head on with a guy with a new Vehicle that uses LEDS and wonder man that faggot has his brights on when it fact they are LEDS :banghead:

If these lights below arent bright enough for you, then you shouldnt be driving at night period

az chip

Post by az chip »

Candymancan,

I love your headlights! Great job and simple. Did you do relays or is that standard wiring?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Idunno. I suspect it aint the LED's that're the problem. It's people putting different lights in the housings and not getting the reaimed.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

candymancan wrote:Well Just show you guys what my lights look like.

This is with 2 brand new Sylverstar headlights. $25 a peice, and with new fog lights Linked below

First pic is with no fogs on, 2nd is brights, 3rd is normal with fogs, personally i hate people who use LEDS.. they are blinding to drivers.. Any LED light is blinding.. Fish tank LEDS are blinding, normal LED lights for some reason are just a peircing light.. and headlights are even worse. I wish they would be illegal TBH. Look into an LED light compared to a normal light bulb.. And im sure you notice how the LED wants to burn your eyes... Im sure you all have driven head on with a guy with a new Vehicle that uses LEDS and wonder man that faggot has his brights on when it fact they are LEDS :banghead:

If these lights below arent bright enough for you, then you shouldnt be driving at night period
There is no halogen bulb that will EVER compare with an HID or LED. Period. There are very good reasons manufacturers are dropping halogens.

A correctly setup HID or LED setup will NOT blind drivers. Correct setups have infinitely better lighting patterns, including cutoffs to keep the light on the road and out of eyes. I put LEDs in projectors on my old Jetta and specifically asked everyone I could find if they were irritating, every single person told me they were better to look at than the original lights. I've got factory HIDs in my 350z, and they are some of the best lights I've ever encountered, both from inside and outside the vehicle. I've driving in front of and oncoming to a great many other 350zs and never once felt blinded.

I've seen plenty of horribly done halogens that are just as, or more, blinding than properly setup HID/LED lights.

I wish people would learn a bit more about that which they speak prior to being allowed on the internet. ;)

aa
Last edited by Cecil14 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

candymancan wrote:Im sure you all have driven head on with a guy with a new Vehicle that uses LEDS and wonder man that faggot has his brights on when it fact they are LEDS :banghead:
Ummm... :-|
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

az chip wrote:Candymancan,

I love your headlights! Great job and simple. Did you do relays or is that standard wiring?

no relays. Just stock wiring.. but im using sylvanias silverstars which arr their brightest lights. supposedly they only last a year or so but mine has been fine so far for the last 7 months. I also got those new fog lights. they were oddly brighter then my other 55w fogs.

just make sure you clean thr power connectors.. mine were all corroded.. had to put a pan under the plug and used brake cleaner and a small wire brush. Then blobs of some dielectric grease and plugged in new lights.

my old lights were so dull my fog lights were brighter... remember one night my mom saying to turn my headligjts on and im like they are on lol.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:
candymancan wrote:Im sure you all have driven head on with a guy with a new Vehicle that uses LEDS and wonder man that faggot has his brights on when it fact they are LEDS :banghead:

um what. ppl who toss leds on are jerks specially people who use use halogen housings with leds on cars with plastic lights.. It makes the LED eye burning and disttibutes the light incorrectly.. and ppl who drive with bright lights on in well lit areas or keep them on when you drive by are faggots. you can actually get pulled over for it. Dont even get me on people who dont use turn signals. or use em a split second before a turn.

rant off

az chip

Post by az chip »

candymancan wrote:
HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:

um what. ppl who toss leds on are jerks specially people who use use halogen housings with leds on cars with plastic lights.. It makes the LED eye burning and disttibutes the light incorrectly.. and ppl who drive with bright lights on in well lit areas or keep them on when you drive by are faggots. you can actually get pulled over for it.
I have to agree. Being blinded is not fun. People that install those lights without cut offs or other proper light aiming devices piss me off as they are blinding.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Cecil14 wrote:
candymancan wrote:Well Just show you guys what my lights look like.

I wish people would learn a bit more about that which they speak prior to being allowed on the internet. ;)

aa

I wish the condom your dad used didnt break but hey we dont all get the wish we ask for..

Joking asside..

Newer vehicles have proper hids and leds and they are dtill eye peircing.. Ever have one behind you and they go uo and diwn on bumps you csn see that pericing light shine up into your eyes.. Halogens may not be as good but even aimed up high the light doesnt peirce you.. sure its blinding but its a different kind of blinding. Dont get me on the halogen housing led bulb users

Dont deny that any LED car or not has that unnatural pericing light to it.

I never denied that halogens arent as bright or (white) either

44bz

Post by 44bz »

I think somebody with more authority around here than me needs to have a chat with candyman about respectful internet etiquette.

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Oh yea. so its ok to insult me saying i shouldnt post on the internet without more info. but its wrong for me to say i wish the condom didnt break.

tit for tat. You must be a liberal. where its ok to hate others. but not others to hate you am i right ?

A mod or admin can talk to me all they want. It wont change my opinion lol and im not 2 years old either.

wanna call my mommy next ?