Windshield seal replacement

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
PaulD

Windshield seal replacement

Post by PaulD »

I want to replace the windshield on my 89 GW. It is very cloudy around the edges and that bugs me. Trying to decide if I need a new seal at the same time. Anyone have experience with reusing the seal in a 25" year old vehicle? Trying to avoid the cost of a new seal if possible.

memo43

Re: Windshield seal replacement

Post by memo43 »

I would replace the seal at the same time,
Most shops that do windshield will no warranty there work unless a new seal is used.
Besides cheap insurance at the same time.
How cloudy is it, like glass separating/air pockets.
If it's cosmetic then something like Mr clean magic eraser could clear it up
US Marine
79 Jeep Cherokee
360/TH400/Full time TC
Dolphin gauges
GM style HEI
Power windows
Serehill tailgate and headlight harness

"My jeep has no manners it
marks every parking spot"

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

It's been my experience that you have to replace the windshield and gasket together. It's not a matter of age, but rather the change in glass technology. New windshields are thinner because glass has gotten tougher. Old gaskets won't seal the new thinner glass, and new gaskets don't fit old glass. I have no measurements to back this up, but it's my conclusion after numerous trials and thier errors.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Bite the bullet and replace the seal, too. Make sure the glass shop that does it knows how to do OLD style windshields.

The cloudy edges mean that the glass is starting to de-lamninate. And yes, it IS annoying. :- )
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

New glass and old seals create an interesting dilemma. All the new seals I see advertised are supposedly a replica of the original seals which were designed for old style thicker glass. Does that mean that a new seal (old design) will not fit well with new thinner glass? I agree with everyone's assessment that a new seal is the best approach and I expect I will go that way. I suspect I have no choice for a new seal that has been redesigned for the thinner glass. Even if the seal is still the old design, I would expect it to seal better than a 25+ year old seal.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

i guess it depends.. Ill be honest when i took my 1uarter panel glass out the old 27 year old seal was still rubbery flexible like it was new.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I don't believe there are any new seals for old glass. About 8 years ago this was the hot topic on the FSJ forums. Nobody could get the windshield to seal, either because they were having a windshield installer try to reuse the seal, or because they ordered a new seal to install good glass they got from a junk yard. At first it was thought that the available seals were made to the wrong dimensions or that the corners of new glass had a different radius in the corners. Eventually someone posted pics of a new windshield on top of an old windshield and the only difference was the thickness. Since then I've had two new windshields with new seals installed by safelite and neither leaks. They were just under $200 installed each, but I think the price has gone up a little since then.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

I have called several installers and all tell me that they do not offer a new seal Need to bring my own if I want a new one. Several sellers offer new seals ranging from $45 to $80.