Help choose shocks

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
memo43

Help choose shocks

Post by memo43 »

Ok as I lay here waiting for another back fusion (literally(
I need to decide what shocks to run to help with the suspension.
79 jeep Chero with a 2" lift (blocks in the rear)
I replaced all 4 shocks with gabriel shocks (factory height) from vatozone. Or what ever the computer pulled up.
I've measure the shock mount bolt to bolt I measured 22". I'm running 32x11.5r15 an have plenty of space to eventually run 33's.
My biggest complain is I can feel the shocks bottom out when I hit pot holes, o can fell it all the way up my spine.
I've looked at bilstein shocks but done know which ones to get.
Not looking for caddy like suspension
But more for an enjoyable ride.
Any and all help would be appreciated
US Marine
79 Jeep Cherokee
360/TH400/Full time TC
Dolphin gauges
GM style HEI
Power windows
Serehill tailgate and headlight harness

"My jeep has no manners it
marks every parking spot"

Tatsadasayago

Re: Help choose shocks

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Those Gabriels are a 50/50 shock and should be fine. It sounds like your leaf springs have lost their rate and are allowing the axle housing to strike the rubber snubbers on the frame. Having a gimped backbone myself, I surely understand your situation, but I doubt shocks are the solution.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

candymancan

Re: Help choose shocks

Post by candymancan »

i have gabriel stadard on my 4.0 ZJ and gabriel ultra on my 5.9zj

the ultra are really soft cushony shocks.. and mine dont bottom out. and the 5.9 ZJ is 4300-4400 lbs.. coil springs of course but i think your leaf springs are worn out.

if you cant afford new leaf springs or dont want to get them. then i suggest you get the coil over shocks from gabriel or other brands.. I have them on my wagoneer and they support 500 lbs extra without sag or drop.. the ride of rougher but it helps alot.. I weigh 300 lbs.. yes im fat lol.. and when i sit on tailgate (with my old leaf springs before i replaced them) my waggy would drop maybe half an inch vs 2 or 3 inches and bounce like crazy with regular shocks and old leaf springs.

all 4 fit you just have to use washers in the front to move further from the mount

thays the only way i can see you fixing this without new leaf springs.

i know the other brand i forgot the name makes coil over shocks like gabriel that supports 1000 lbs.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)