Which Timing Chain Cover (AMC 304)

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Robudda

Which Timing Chain Cover (AMC 304)

Post by Robudda »

I heard not such good reviews with proform and Omix. I heard Bulltear does a good check on specs of the ones they get, but it looks like you pay for it. Who has used which brands and had good luck, or is it just bite the bullet once and order from bulltear?

Thanks,
Rob

weeegoneeer

Re: Which Timing Chain Cover (AMC 304)

Post by weeegoneeer »

I got the bulltear, and while it fit fine it leaks oil from the pressed in idler gear pin. Read that the solution to that is use some hi-temp wicking loctite, which I'll get to some day.

I'd make the same purchase again though, because the piece of mind of knowing it fit was worth it. Would have done the loctite trick had I known at the time it would prevent a drip.
1984 GW

Topic author
Robudda

Post by Robudda »

weeegoneeer wrote:I got the bulltear, and while it fit fine it leaks oil from the pressed in idler gear pin. Read that the solution to that is use some hi-temp wicking loctite, which I'll get to some day.

I'd make the same purchase again though, because the piece of mind of knowing it fit was worth it. Would have done the loctite trick had I known at the time it would prevent a drip.
Thanks, That is the info I was looking for.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

General consensus is, if you can find a decent one, a reworked original cover is best. You have a 304 now - what's wrong with your existing cover? Unless it has a big hole in it, you're likely better off lapping the oil pump face until you get the right clearance with the gears.

Have you torn down the engine? Low hot idle oil pressure can also come from delaminating cam bearings.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Robudda

Post by Robudda »

tgreese wrote:General consensus is, if you can find a decent one, a reworked original cover is best. You have a 304 now - what's wrong with your existing cover? Unless it has a big hole in it, you're likely better off lapping the oil pump face until you get the right clearance with the gears.

Have you torn down the engine? Low hot idle oil pressure can also come from delaminating cam bearings.
The dist and cam gears did not mesh and jumped a tooth, and looks like some one previously jb welded a crack in the timing cover. Everything else is good to go.

So getting a new gear set and a timing cover should get it going again.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

*Inserts Public Service Announcement regarding aftermarket AMC timing and distributor drive gear oiling issues*
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Robudda

Post by Robudda »

Is there any one online that sales oem take offs in good condition? Or is it best to scavenge hunt at the local junk yards?

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

Not many AMC's in junk yards anymore , they've been scrapped. look on the forums and ebay and decent ones come up now and then.

You can't polish a turd as they say, Bulltear gives it a good try . but I wasn't impressed with the one I saw . the distributor gear angle wasn't correct.

At this point I'd only use a good original.

derf

Post by derf »

Robudda wrote:Is there any one online that sales oem take offs in good condition? Or is it best to scavenge hunt at the local junk yards?
I have an original one off a 401 that I'm not using and it's in good shape. They're universal between the 304, 360, and 401. I'd be happy to find a box and ship it out to you. (or deliver if you're close enough)

Topic author
Robudda

Post by Robudda »

derf wrote:
Robudda wrote:Is there any one online that sales oem take offs in good condition? Or is it best to scavenge hunt at the local junk yards?
I have an original one off a 401 that I'm not using and it's in good shape. They're universal between the 304, 360, and 401. I'd be happy to find a box and ship it out to you. (or deliver if you're close enough)
Thanks derf, I ended up finding an original from a small custom jeep shop near me yesterday. He did not want to let it go as it is in really great shape. But I talked him into it.

derf

Post by derf »

Robudda wrote:
derf wrote:
Thanks derf, I ended up finding an original from a small custom jeep shop near me yesterday. He did not want to let it go as it is in really great shape. But I talked him into it.
Cool. Glad you found one.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Hey Derf, I may be interested in it if it's in your way. I have 4 vehicles with 360s and only two covers that don't have holes in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk