Slow wiper motor 87 GW

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ShagWagon

Slow wiper motor 87 GW

Post by ShagWagon »

My wiper motor always has been slow. Seems like half speed of every wiper I've ever owned or used.

Are they just alway been slow or can it be rehabbed? Or any upgrades been known?

Don't think it will cut it in the winter rain here and I'd like to fix it, but thought I'd ask before I tear it out and get looking.

Thanks for anything.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Slow wiper motor 87 GW

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I'd suggest you test the motor and see how many amps it's drawing. If the motor is bad, replace it. If the motor is fine but drawing a large load you could have other issues like binding linkage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Mine are fast.. like too fast lol so you deff have an issue
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Well I took it out today.

Tested 11.9v to the motor. Seem like enough? It's a steady 11.9v. Should I be 12v+?

I noticed the motor mount is the ground itself for starters.

Moved wiper arms by hand seems somewhat tight but not too bad when I work the wipers by hand from the outside. The wiper arms are really up in the dash so did some lubing best I could by reaching up and just feeling around. Any access to the pivots and mechanism beside tearing out the dash?

Okay how do I check amperage?
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Well I started the engine and checked at 14.6 while running so it gets juice.

I pulled the parts motor out and tested it too. Same speed Slow.

Manually worked wipers, nothing binding. Gets somewhat harder due to the pressure on the glass but nothing too noteworthy. Will claybar and rain-ex for some slickness.

Took cover off the motor and lubed gears.

Put back together. It's a little quieter but still slow. Guess I'll have to deal with it unless something comes up with another better idea.

It's not broken or anything just not up to speed as I'd like it to be when on high mode.

Couldn't find any access to the passenger side pivots without removing dash etc.... so I didn't. Any way to remove the wiper arms to get some lube around from the topside? Seems like something you can take apart easily but not so easy to put back together.....

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

There's a little clip on the bottom of the wiper arm that you push in and pull up on the arm. Spray white lithium grease would work well
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition